Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb Dumb Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeremy_C, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Alright, I'm fixin to ask some pretty rookie-like questions here, so there i've warned ya. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Here is the deal, i've owned 4 Chevrolet pickups an one blazer over the past years, and i've finnally got one that is a great truck all the way around. Great motor, straight body, great interior the whole nine yards. I dont take it fourwheeling much because it is my daily driver, but i do take it out in the woods occasionally. I'd also like to add on to it, but i'm not sure what to add. I've seen quite a few members rides, an I cant stop drooling. lol. I like how the "Always Trail Ready" Rigs look alot, Can i make my truck look like that an still look like a daily driver.

Question 1. What do i need to do, to keep this truck in tip top shape, or make it in even better shape.

Question 2. I can send pictures to anybody who would like to help me with my truck, and maybe help me with what i'm trying to do.

Question 3. What kinds of things do i need to go ahead an upgrade because they came from the factory alot weaker then need be?

I sure do appreciate everbodys help alot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Contrary to popular belief on this board, you need to wash and wax a paint job to keep it up, despite previous owner maintainence. My blazer is also a dailydriver, just build it tough and you can wheel it on the weekends and still take it to work or school the next day.

Axles are a must for upgrading, I like my rims and 6 lugs just fine so I am regearing through 3/4 ton axle swap. Other parts you can just replace as you go. What year is this new truck? I am worried about tranny isses for ya, unless ya got a robust 465 like a few of the lucky here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif make sure you have a cooler. The suspension upgrades you can make by lifting the truck, get new springs etc. Exhaust system on these trucks can also use much improvement over stock....there is a couple pointers to stop, oh yeah if you have auto locking hubs, ditch them too...
    Good luck

3. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Thanks for that quick reply josh, here's some more detail on the truck

Its a 1978 4x4, 4-speed bull dog, Manual Hubs. 350. Stock height. New exhaust, wheels, and tires. The truck in my signature is the one i had before. I need to change that. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Get Mud-Terrain tires such as the BFG's or Pro-Comps. These seem to give good all around performance on the steet, snow, and in the dirt. You should also get decent mileage from them. Don't know what size you are running now, but if you are going larger than stock than 31's or 33's would probably be good for ya.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Axles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! defently upgrade to 3/4 ton or 1 ton. I personally am going 3/4 ton becouse I just can't aford the 1 ton axles at the momment. Post some pic in webshots and put a link to them with your sig. Fuel injection is a popular mod if you've got a carb, but kinda expencive. Lifts are always fun.

6. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to upgrade axles?? What is so good about upgrading? Like i said....dumb questions. lol But i'm all ears. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

I'll post a pic as soon as I can. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

If you don't really plan on hitting some rock trails or deep mud. I think your 1/2 ton D44 and Corp 12 bolt will be good.

I wheel with some guys who have these axles and are running 38.5!!! They haven't broken the axles - yet.

With that being said, depending on the tires you plan to get you will need some gear changes. Gear changes can be just as expensive (or cheap depending on how you look at it) as a 3/4 ton swap. If you have someone else change your gears you will probably spend $500 for front and rear gears. You can probably find a 3/4 ton D44 and Corp 14FF with 4.10s for $500 - $800. Now you need rims and possibly tires because of the 8 lug bolt pattern.

Do you want lockers...??? This will depend on how much off-road time you plan on spending.

The trick is to decide what lockers you want before you do the axle swap, this way you can wait to find some lockers in the rear (and front) if that's the way you want to go.

It's a DAMN slippery slope when you start looking around like this.

Good luck.

8. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

lol, i'm in the same boat as a person who buys a house and dont know what to do with it, so they talk to a home decorater. Thats what i'm doin, i'm talkin to a Truck decorater here. lol.

I posted some pics in my webshots, let me hear your opinion what i need to do to it. Also check out the burnt ford truck we had find and identify. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Your link doesnt work.

10. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Try the link now. I's havin some technical difficulties there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Link is workin now, if anybody wants to give some advice /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif