Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb Hei Install Mistake. Help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pontiacratrod, Apr 20, 2007.

1. pontiacratrod

pontiacratrod Registered Member

Ok, I Think I May Have Goofed Here. My Factory Manual Basically Just Says That When You Are Replacing A Distributor All You Gotta Do Is Mark The Position Of The Rotor, Yank It Out And Then Install The New One Making Sure You Are Lining Up The Rotor With Before Mentioned Mark. Well, Now That I Am Trying To Install The New Distributor, Its Only Going In One Way And The Rotor Is Off About Two Inches. No Matter How Many Times I Try To Realign It To The Mark It Wont Fully Seat Until Its At The Spot Where Its Off The Two Inches. Im Really Confused On This One....

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It is getting hung up on the oil pump shaft, get a long screw driver and move the oil pump shaft in either direction then try again. If it goes in but still off retry again by moving the shaft to a different location.

3. Brodie

Brodie 1/2 ton status

If you don't have a long flat-head you can drop it in so that your marks line up. It won't be able to go the entire way down because of the oil pump though. Then use a socket (7/8s?) on the crankshaft bolt and manualy turn the engine over. When you turn the crank your rotor should move too. When the oil pump lines up the dizzy will just drop down the rest of the way. Hope this helps

4. pontiacratrod

pontiacratrod Registered Member

thanks, worked on the second try. its amazing what you forget after a couple years...