Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb little modification....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Jul 26, 2004.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

So I aquired an oil filler from a van application and made some brackets to use it on my K5. Will make it a little easier to put oil in (esp. since I'm lazy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Pic, hope it works
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/167685910/167687219bVhXPs

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Good idea! Beats the heck out of climbing up the tire and doing that balancing act. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is a great idea, and relatively inexpensive and easy! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

It looks like it should work. It reminds me of the time that I pulled a 305 from a full size van and put it in a '77 cutlass, the oil dipstick was up by the core support near the radiator cap.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There is no such thing as a "dumb" modification ( except welded steering/brakes ) . If you like it and it works , no matter how small , its a "GOOD" modification . Glad you like it and reminded me to do it too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Yeah, definately ranks up there on the cheap and easy mod list. 4xrick here on the board is parting out a van so I got a few parts to use on the K5. Also have the long tranny filler tube, someday I will have to see about installing that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Another mod I am thinking about is using Van tailights (they are flat) and mounting them into the tailgate. Not better than other methods, just cheap in this case.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I said dumb just because its a mod that doesn't make the truck any better, and it took an hour or two to mock it up and make the brackets...so "dumb" because I spent a couple hours on the truck making it easier to put oil in /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I said dumb just because its a mod that doesn't make the truck any better, and it took an hour or two to mock it up and make the brackets...so "dumb" because I spent a couple hours on the truck making it easier to put oil in

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I'll bet you pick up 5-10hp with that mod. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

On a serious note, that is why I don't want to take my grill guard off, it makes for a nice convenient step ladder.

9. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That is a great idea. I do get tired of throwing my leg up on my bumper and pulling myself up, but I have to do it to check the oil and all other fluids anyways so...... I have a long flexineck funnel I use to put oil in my truck but hey great idea.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I love it. That is one of those ideas that makes you say, "Now why the hell didn't I think of that?"
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I said dumb just because its a mod that doesn't make the truck any better

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say anything that makes vehicle maintenance easier and faster DOES make the truck better, and isn't a "dumb" mod. Just my opinion...
    I'll be stealing this idea, among all the others...

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I love it. That is one of those ideas that makes you say, "Now why the hell didn't I think of that?"
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I remember some talk on here a while back about using the oil dipstick and tranny filler tubes from van's on lifted trucks so you can check everything without climbing in, finally got the chance to get some parts and try it out. Only thing I don't have is the long oil dipstick, but that one I can still reach...for now /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

The other thought I had is this would be a much easier bolt on mod if you get the parts off the same type of engine you already have. I got the parts off a SB, but have a BB, so I had to make my own mounting brackets /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I put a 307 in place of the 250 six in my van,but the tube I got from the boneyard had different valve covers,and it wouldnt work,so now every time its down a quart I have to pull the doghouse off(a real PITA)or use one of those long funnels,and still spill most of it! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I might have to go back for the valve cover!.
    Thats a good idea though,using factory parts for a solution.Seems vans have a lot of good parts for our 4x4's,like the steering shafts to eliminate the rag joints,and the power steering remote resivour jug,and now,the oil filler and tranny dipstick tube setup.Seems GM made all the right parts,they just didnt put them on the right trucks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I would have to still climb up in there to use that, and not because the 'Burb is exceptionally tall either /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif