Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dumb locker question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Apr 26, 2002.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

A locker engages as soon as you apply the throttle or what. Example: If I am stopped at a red light and want to make a turn, as soon as I start accelarating does the locker engage or what? Any locker pro's that can answer how bad these things behave on dry asphalt.

2. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

They engage when you hit the gas. You can coast through turns without them activating. I have yet to install my detroit so I'm not sure of the street characteristics, but I've heard they are nothing you cant get used to.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Lockers do exactly the opposite of what you are saying, they are always locked until there is a variance in tire speeds then the locker disengages so you may make your turn without "barking" the tires. This is also assuming you are driving normal around the turn and not heavy on the throttle. If you are heavy on the throttle the locker may not unlock at all.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It also depends on the style of locker. Generally they will drive the "inside tire" (slowest) and allow the faster tire to "over run" the slower one. This often causes the characteristics associated with lockers such as under steer while accelerating (switching violently to over steer if you break the inside tire loose) and ratcheting, popping, or banging noises as the locking mechanism releases allowing the over-running tire to free wheel. Applying power through the drive shaft forces the locking mechanism into position so that it locks hard. That’s the simple version for the most common case.

5. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I concurr. I've got a detroit out back, and it'll chirp the inside tire on sharp turns in accordance with how much throttle you use. If you are real easy on it, it might not even bark, be if you plant your right foot, the inside tire will make noise all the way through the turn....and the truck understeers a little. The understeer is only noticable if you let off the throttle mid-turn, in which case it will want to pull a tighter turn. Likewise, if you are coasting through a turn and romp on the gas, it will want to go straight, and require a little more wheel input to keep the same arc.
    Sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. The improvement in four-wheeling performance is awesome. It's no big deal getting used to it on road.
    Of course this is in a heavy, long wheelbase truck too.