Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb Noob Tranny question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IGOR, Aug 10, 2006.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So - I have the engine out of my 72 right now - is it possible to pull the tranny, transfer case, & crossmember as one unit? Or is it better to unbolt the tranny and pull it seperately?

It doesn't look like it would be that bad - but the crossmember bolts to the top of the frame on the underside - and I can't see how to get the crossmember out unless it is twisted within the frame

2. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

i recently had a friend of mine pull the clutch out of my suburban. what he did was pull of the driveshafts. put a motorcycle jack under the transfer case and the crossmember and unplugged the reverse indicator cable (he broke it) then he took some tow straps and tied it to the jack. the jack held for like a week then it slowly hit the ground. but i cant help you with the tranny never had to pull mine. just the bellhousing

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

all of mine I have pulled them out together. with your crossmember that way you will probablyhave to slide the whole assembly back to free up the tranny and motor then turn it sideways to get it to drod out. if not you'll need a 2nd jack to put under the t case ands one on the tranny pan then take the crossmember out then lower them both down. I'v always put em back in seperate though. Just always pulled them together.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

In-n-out together, tranny jack and floor jack. Crossmember first out and last in.

5. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

I think that it really depends on your equipment. If you've got a tranny jack, and a nece even surface, you could do it as one unit (but you'd have to remove the cross member first obviously). If you do it this way, it is alot less unbolting and rebolting everything together. However, if you do it this way it is also harder to line up the bellhousing to the back of the engine when you have to put it back in. It is also a little harder to manuever in general. I've always done mine piece by piece, however, I was usually working with just a floor jack and always on gravel (not fun).

6. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I had to pull mine separately due to lack of equipment. And I agree it might be harder to align the bell housing with the t case on there. If I could do it again (and I will once I get a doubler) then I would pull them together and reinstall separately.

7. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Okay - dumb question - but how do I get the cross member OUT of the frame - it needs to be twisted - it looks like

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

most likely youll have to unbolt the tcase from the crossmember then support the setup off of the crossmember a good bit. from there you can probably play with the xmember enough to drop it.