Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb pipe/tubing question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Sep 13, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Can I make a cage for my suburban using pipe......

Just kidding! (The actual dumb question to follow)

When people are talking about pipe (not tubing), are they refering to the black, non-galvanized iron pipe you find in the hardware store in 10 foot lengths? Or, is it just a different size designation for mild steel "pipe/tubing"? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

pipe is measureed by the I.D. (inside diameter) and tube is measured by O.D. (outside diameter). you can get both at a steel place. The pipe your talking about it probably multi use, /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    pipe is measureed by the I.D. (inside diameter) and tube is measured by O.D. (outside diameter).

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew that.

Here is what made me ask the question...not sure if Home Depot (at least the one by me) carries any steel other than iron pipe for plumbing.
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=garage&Number=1176025&Forum=All_Forums&Words="home%20depot"&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1175369&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1176025

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

if you got the wall thickness on it, you could probably use it if it was thick enough.

[ QUOTE ]
    1 1/2" Schedule 40...$22 for 10 feet at your local home depot

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the stuff then... its the right stuff /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Black pipe is not galvanized.

Home depot carries Schedule 40 black pipe in sizes up to about 1 1/2", which is approximately 1.90 x .145 wall.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence why I said, "black, non-galvanized"...I suppose it is a little redundant.

So...that iron pipe IS the stuff people are talking about when they say "pipe"...that's kinda scary. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah against all my warnings and offers to make him a proper one, my budd made a roll bar on his choped bronce II out or 1" gas pipe yup the black weak soft steel pipe. and the best part is he threaded it all togeather /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    for 60 buck ( the cost of his pipe and fittings) i would have made him a bigger better cage, but he wanted to do it all himself /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    sure hope he dosent have to use it /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence why I said, "black, non-galvanized"...I suppose it is a little redundant.

So...that iron pipe IS the stuff people are talking about when they say "pipe"...that's kinda scary. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. From what the guys on pirate say, good, American pipe is essentially HREW, just sold as a different size.

I made my anti wrap bar out of pipe, and I'd make bumpers and sliders out of pipe, too. Makes no sense to me to use tube for that.

A cage, I'd probably use tube out of common sense. Pipe is way too heavy to build a cage out of (and obviously not rated for it).

9. poorboy1

poorboy1 Registered Member

I made the bed on my truck out of pipe. it's heavier but I have drug it, beat it, and ran it into stuff with nothing more than paint scratching off. I have seen Tube bumpers collapse when just pushing up on some boulders. If I could afford a tubing bender and tube then I would probly use it. For now my $60 pipe bender and $16 a stick for pipe I will keep using it. Some day I will move up to tubing and shed some pounds. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The idea of using tube is to use engineering to make the light wall thickness stuff last. I'd venture to say if you saw a tube bumper bend it was most likely of a poor design.

I've seen some .120" wall tube bumpers take some serious hits without flinching.

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    From what the guys on pirate say, good, American pipe is essentially HREW

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, when it is called "black pipe" it is seamless, and of good quality regardless of country of origin, if you specify it to be. Thye steel grade is similar to plate steel, but once again, you have to know what you are looking for. I think weight is the main factor for using tube as opposed to pipe.

John

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    From what the guys on pirate say, good, American pipe is essentially HREW

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, when it is called "black pipe" it is seamless, and of good quality regardless of country of origin, if you specify it to be. Thye steel grade is similar to plate steel, but once again, you have to know what you are looking for. I think weight is the main factor for using tube as opposed to pipe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know wha you mean by, "Seamless" but there is certainly a weld seam on the inside of the stick of pipe I purchased for my anti-wrap bar.

The main reason for tube instead of pipe on a roll cage is that it is not rated to be a structural member no matter how thick it is.

13. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

"Seamless" as in formed, not welded. "HREW" stands for "Hot Rolled, Electrically Welded" , or something close to that, which is seamed. All the pipe we use at work is ordered as "seamless black pipe-SA106B" etc. Most pipe you pick up from home improvement stores is seamed. Yes, most pipe is not designed to be used as a structural component, yet it can be.

John