Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb q- oil pan removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Jun 16, 2005.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

'87 K5 BBC, Moroso pan.

I'm tired, it's late...
    How do I get the friggin pan off? All bolts off, pan interferes with the engine cross member at the front. I'm running an aluminum bell housing so there's no room to the back. I'm assuming I have to unbolt a motor mount and lift the engine a bit. :confused:

2. NCJOSH

NCJOSH Registered Member

No brother. You should be able to just unbolt your bellhousing and move it out of the way. Pan should drop after that.

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Bellhousing is a solid piece, so I'd have to move the entire transmission and xfer case back - all 600lbs or so.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Moroso....

A stock oilpan would come out without much hassle,but a Moroso pan might be larger capacity and hit the crossmember under the motor--in that case you will have to raise the motor up a bit,remove the 2 thru bolts in the motor mounts,and raise it some until enough clearance is obtained.(you can use an engine hoist,or a jack under the pan with a peice of wood to spread the load so the pan wont crush!--then you can put blocks of 2x4's under the motor mount brackets to hold it up when you remove the jack--slide the thru bolts back in so the blocks can rest on them)...

Take off the distributor cap first,or it will likely hit the firewall and crack when you lift the motor up--watch the fan too,make sure it does not catch the fan shroud--it might have to be removed as well--also watch the radiator hoses and any wiring that might get stretched when you lift the motor...I had a lower hose pop off while I was under the truck doing an oil pan swap once--it was not fun getting 5 gallons of prestone flushed down my pants..expensive mistake too--cost another 25 bucks for new antifreeze.... :mad: ...also,I'd avoid jacking the motor up using the harmonic balancer--I did once and it flew apart a few days later,and the motor vibrated so bad I had to tow the truck home... :frown1: --be careful under there! :crazy:

5. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Thanks Diesel!
    This pretty much confirms what I had planned to attempt this evening. I already have the pan unbolted and wedged so I'll need to find another lift point for the engine from below.