Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb Question - Brake Lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Alright, I ordered an extended brake line for the rear. It came today. I am trying real hard to do my own repairs on my truck. I know my hubby has enough to do on his own plus I like that feeling of satisfaction if I can do it myself. Is there anything I need to know before I take off the old line? I'm assuming it will need to be bled after the change - correct? I have the old gas line off except for that one darned fitting at the sending unit. Brackets are off and it is disconnected at the fuel filter :-).

Thanks all!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yup, just pull the old one off, put the new one on, and bleed the brakes. Real simple to install, in thoery... </font color>

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I talked to hub on the phone and asked if there was any reason why I couldn't do it. He laughed! I said it looks easy and he said yes it "looks" easy, but there's this rust thing. I'll give it a whirl. Mostly I want to know if I can use my best friend, PB Blaster, before turning the wrench. Got my rusted gas line brackets off prety easy with the help of that, not even using the impact /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Figure the exercise will be good for me.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yup, the rust and age of the parts always causes easy things to be not so easy... that's why I said that it's easy "in thoery" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif </font color>

5. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Mostly I want to know if I can use my best friend, PB Blaster,

[/ QUOTE ]

Defintely yes. Have at it with that stuff. It was one of my best friends too when I was doing that stuff to mine. Just remember to bleed the brakes well after you get everything changed over.

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Watch out for twisted brake lines, flare-line wrenches are a must if they're really stuck. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif