Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb question - how is rim width measured?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I was always under the impression that rims are measured from the two edges of the wheel that are farthest apart, not the actual place where the bead seats. So, general knowledge has it that Hummer wheels are 8.25" wide, but this picture of a stock Hummer wheel being measured shows it as being 9.75", and the text accompanying it said that it is 8.25" across where the beads actually seat. What gives, are normal rims measured from the outer edges or from the bead seat? Here's the pic -

[​IMG] </font color>

2. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

i coulda sworn that hummer rims were 9.75. i think i saw em somewhere saying that most are 9.75. i'm sure i'm wrong but hey its worth a shot. so i think that you are doing it right and its 9.75 inches wide. hope someone smarter can answer. later.

jacob

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Wheels are measured from beadseat to beadseat. That wheel looks to be 8.25"s wide.

4. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I talked to the guys at USA6x6.com and I am also in the military and even the shipping papers say thatarea humvee rims are 16.5"x9.75". If you have any doubts contact the guys at www.usa6x6.com and ask them.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, thanks everybody! 70-K5 actually gave me a call and gave me the lowdown as well, it seems that technically wheels are measured from beadseat to beadseat. I would be interested in seeing what an aftermarket 10" wide wheel looks like with a tape held up to it like in the picture of the Hummer wheel above, just so there's no question in anybody's mind about it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

6. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

thats where i saw that they were 9.75. i knew my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. i was just sayin what i saw. now i know its beadset to beadset. later.

jacob

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just checked a brand new Cragar 15x10 in the garage. It's 10 inches from bead seat to bead seat. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It measures 10 and 15/16's to the outer edges of the rim.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Excellent, that settles it! Thanks Harry! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>