Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb question on manual front hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arveetek, Mar 2, 2002.

1. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Ok guys, I apologize if this is a dumb question, but this is my first 4WD truck! (86 K-10)

Is there a way (some sort of kit or something) to be able to engage the manual locking hubs from inside the cab? Getting out in the mud or snow is a pain to have to engage the hubs.

Thanks.

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

thats why there manual and not auto hubs

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>

3. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

No, if you really what you could change to auto hubs. I'm sure there a plenty of people here the will sell you their's.

87 V1500 305 TBI 208/465 4" 35"procomp mt Dana 44/12 bolt

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

OK If your to lazey to get out and turn the hubs, maybe you should by a HONDA

IT'S MOSTLY MAUI WAUI.... BUT IT'S GOT SOME LABRADOR IN IT

5. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

lol. right on

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

with some forethought you can engage the hubs prior to needing them.
    if it is snowing out when you are leaving work lock em in.
    if it turns out you didnt need 4wd unlock them when you park at home.
    more then likely you will leave locked for the morning snow commute...

ike anything auto, the auto hubs or CAD eventual trac systems seems to cause grief at the most inopportune times

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Auto hubs suck. They are weak. They are convenient, but not worth the convenience to an offroader. If you do alot of snow, and mud, leave the manual hubs locked. You will loose a little gas mileage, and wear parts a little quicker, but you will have 4x4 whenever you want it. Out hubs won't engage or disengage without rolling 10 feet, so if you get stuck in 2wd and shift to 4x4 then you will still only get 2wd. I just leave my hubs locked when I am offroad that way I have 4x4 whenever I pull the tcase lever back.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas. <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo73>My K5</a>

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Hey wow! You guys are awesome!

Yeah, I've had friends with the later auto hubs, and I know of their particular problems. I knew the manuals were better/stronger, I just didn't know if there was any other way of engaging them.

Does the front driveshaft turn with the hubs locked and the TC in 2 high?

Like I said, I'm all new to this. I thought I wasn't supposed to drive over 40 or so with the front hubs locked.

Thanks

1986 K-10, 6.2L N/A diesel, SM465, NP208, 3.73 gears
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/14911798DvydoACKJE>My Chevy Photo Album</a>

9. Hossbaby50

Yep the driveshaft will spin with the tcase in 2Hi and the front hubs engaged. But so will auto hubs. If you put the truck in 4wd with auto's they will lock after 10 feet, and then if you put it back in 2wd the driveshaft will still spin because the hubs will still be locked. You have to put the truck in reverse in 2Hi and back up 10 feet for the auto hubs to disengage.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas. <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo73>My K5</a>

10. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Yes, the axles will turn with the hubs locked. You will also notice a decrease in mileage and the steering may same a little heavy. However, I just lock the hubs anytime I think I may need 4wd. I wouldn't worry about driving on the highway with them locked, just don't have the t-case in 4wd unless needed. If that's the case, than you shouldn't be speeding down the highway anyway.

11. Hossbaby50

I hear you on the heavy steering thing. I was driving my dads F350 one time with autos, and I had to put it in 4x4 to get off the side of this mountain I was camping on. I didn't have a chance to unlock the hubs before I got to the highway. I got on the highway, and the steering was heavy, and it didn't have its normal power because of the parasitic drag of the front end. Once I got a chance to stop and do the reverse 10 feet thing to unlock the hubs everything was normal again.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you can go as fast as u want in 4wdr or hubs locked in

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

13. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info ya'll! We had a big snow here over the weekend, (don't get too much snow here) and I had to pick up my grandparents so I could take them to church. Leaving the hubs locked and just shifting in and out of 4WD worked great. Didn't realize I could do that.

I love this truck! It just goes anywhere with no trouble whatsoever!

Thanks again guys, and thanks for having patience with a dumb newbie like me.

Later.

14. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I left my hubs locked all winter so I could shift in and out of 4wd as needed. I didn't really notice my mileage drop noticealby and it doesn't hurt to keep axle lubed. It's true that the U-joints wear faster, but hey, You gotta change them sooner or later anyway.

15. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

When I first got my truck, I took it into some sand. I went into it in 2hi and, when I had my gov-lok, I actually did well. Well, I eventually stopped. My friend looks at me and says, "Better put it in 4 low". I do that and floor it. My rear spins and all of a sudden my fronts engage and I hop right out. Mine didn't have to roll to engage, the driveshaft made them engage. What's up with that?