Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb Question: Ring Gear?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by woodpecker, Jan 8, 2001.

1. woodpecker

woodpecker Registered Member

Yes, I AM new to the world of do-it-yourself.

Shoot, it only took me about an hour to put new plug wires on. Yes, you may laugh at me.

Anyway, my journey to a better understanding of engines and the like is sometimes fruitless. As with the Ring Gear. Is the Ring Gear located on the Fly Wheel? And if so, is it possible to just change the Ring Gear without the whole flywheel? I know this is basic, but it's still losing me.

Thanks!

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I think on a manual tranny flywheel you can change the ring gear have heard it done but have never done.On a autu tranny flex plate it would probably just be cheaper too get a new plate.

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the ring gear is diff than than a flywheel.....the ring gear is in the front and rear axles..and no u cant just replace the teeth on the flywheel...its all one part....to get to that the tranny has to be unbolted from the motor and broke apart....if its the ring gear in the rear or front end...have fun tryin that one....i wouldent even attempt it....i can swap a motor out abut messin with the rear end i wont touch....too much stuff to go wrong.

Chaz

"Hondas look good under a k5's tires"

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

The Ring Gear is a gear inside of a differential
    Click this link to see a pic of the inside of a differential.
    The gear with the broken tooth is the Ring Gear
    http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the flywheel has a "ring gear" also. it can be replaced if you can find a replacement. nobody I know changes these anymore. If you can find a new one, you can split the old one off. put the new ring gearin your oven to heat it up, and, if you can, put your flywheel in the freezer. after awhile, with gloves, slide the new gear onto the flywheel. make sure it's strait before it cool down to much. I had to do this on a flywheel in a 54 chevy belair. couldn't find a flywheel for under 300!!. this also works good for installing other pressed on bearings. I used to do it all the time with pinion bearings, till the wife saw them in the freezer next to her rocky roads ice cream! If you have a flexplate(auto trans) It's cheaper to by a new flexplate.a ring gear is any type of gear thats shaped in a ring. sorry for the long winded answer!

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

6. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

you can change the ring gear on the flywheel with just a roebud tip on your torch also,just heat it slow and even and do a little tapping with your fovorite hammer(mine is the biggest one i can swing)
    this also works for removal
    if the ring gear is not totally ate up just turn it over and re-install it

marcus