Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5baby, Jan 9, 2006.

1. k5baby

k5baby Registered Member

How in the heck do you hook up the cig. lighter power source. I almost burnt my truck to the ground:eek1: the cig. came from LMC. I never had one before( gotta have something to plug my cell phone up to). It has a green wire attached to the back and red to the casing. I had the green as power source going to the fuse box and red as a ground ( just like the directions said odd, I know but that's LMC). Didn't work so I switched them around and before i knew it I had a wire on fire. I couldn't get the wire disconnected fast enough. Any help on how to wire this simple 12v source up would be great!
    I also started on my sliders. When i get pics I'll post them.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

1 ground wire and 1 hot wire. If you want it hot all the time(not the greatest idea) wire it to constant hot.(source wire that powers headlight circuit is an example) If you want it hot only with the key on, wire it to an acc circuit. Always put an in-line fuse holder on the power side.

When you wired the ground wire to power, it made a direct short because the lighter is mounted to metal.(a ground)

3. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Hot wired

Man you've had some bad luck with electricity, all that work you did could have gone up in smoke. I'd like to see that wiring diagram LMC gave you and if they are wrong I'd be on the phone!!! Lepers right about the fuse could save you a lot of heartbreak and money. Can't wait to see your sliders should fit on mine as well. Yesterday I pulled my crossmember out and put my new 7 qt. oil pan in. What a pain in the a-- that was. Good luck with the simple things Later J.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

The hot wire attaches to the little stud, in the center of the back-think of a bullseye. In line fuse definately a must.

5. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Factory hooked them up constant but you have the choice.

As posted above, one Hot, one Ground is all you should need.

I bet ya picked up an inline fuse already too...:doah:
    Self setting automotive circuit breakers are a nice upgrade from a fuse.
    Match it up with your wire size and your good to go.

Some lighters just had a 'tip' sticking out the back where the power goes to, then grounded through the case to the dash.

6. k5baby

k5baby Registered Member

I'll work on it again tonight. I did get an in line fuse this weekend to install. I think I'm going to wire it only when the key is turned on. Thanks for the info!