Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dumb question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balzer, Aug 19, 2000.

1. balzer

balzer Registered Member

i just turned 16 back in april and, this blazer is my first car, and i have never had to use the 4wd. since some of you are hard-core 4-wheelers this may sound like a dumb question to you, but how exactly do you put it in 4wd with manual hubs, like mile-markers.
    thanks

2. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

put in park....get out and turn the hubs to lock..or 4wd...get back in and put the truck in "n" pull back on the 4wd shift to where you want to go. put it in "d" and go. to take it out, get out and unlock the hubs....go in reverse for 20 feet or so, put it in "n" push the shifter back to 2wd...and back up a little more to totally disengage the 4wd. put it in "d" and go...hope this helps...this is the way i've always done it..
    Kelboski

3. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Don`t think that your questions are dumb. Man when I was 16 all I could do was to ask people how to do things right. Listen to what they say, and then make your own judgement on the situation. This page is here for people like you and I to ask questions, talk truck trash, and basicaly learn from each others past exerience. Keep it coming, and welcome aboard.

4. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

The only dumb question is one that is not asked! No matter how hard core of a wheeler anybody is they all had to learn. Welcome to the site, this is the greatest place in the world for all your questions. Have Fun...

<font color=blue>SLODAWG</font color=blue>
    http://www.slodawg.coloradok5.com

5. Whii338

Whii338 Registered Member

I always thought that if you have manual hubs you did not have to back-up i thought this was only to disengage automatic hubs...anyone?

6. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

you're probably right...i do it just to be sure they're disengaged....i had an automatic pair act up on me b/c they would'nt disengage...so i always back up anyway...but i think you're right.
    Kelboski

7. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I have manual hubs and the only time I have to back up is when the transfer case will not shift out of 4wd. This only happens if I have driven on dry pavement. When I do backup I only go 2 or 3 feet and it shifts out of 4wd easily. Also in the winter I do not unlock my hubs. I use 4wd more than 2wd and do not like to change the hubs every day.

http://kodiak.coloradok5.com

8. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Sometimes you get binding in the transfer case, and that will make it difficult to shift out of 4wd. Backing up can relive some of the pressure, and allow you to shift back into 2wd. Once the case is back in 2wd you should be free, but backing up will make sure. Can't hurt.

[​IMG]

9. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

I had the automatic ones on my truck and I had to back up to get out of 4wd. So then I had manual ones put in because I was told I did not need to back up to get the thing out of 4wd. Now I can shift on the fly. I didn't like having to back up whenever I wanted to take my truck out of 4wd.

10. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

I don't think that it is/was a dumb question. Hell, I'm 35 and I don't know how to put it in 4wd. I think someone saw from my pictures that I have the automatic hubs. I don't even know that. Anyway I just got this thing and I am used to cars. That's OK, cause I learn really fast. I would like to get my K5 as cherry under the hood as my 74 Nova, but that will take some time and $$$$$. You can check out my motor (Nova) down below. - Steve
    Fyi, I am in a Nova webring and go to this great Nova bulletin board. I feel that you are only dumb, if you don't ask questions, don't let your pride keep you from asking. Unless you have a lot of money and don't give a F@ck

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Never a dumb question Grims rules :)

Welcome aboard guy!!! and welcome to the addiction! Lets me start by giving you a few tips when asking questions. First off if you don't know, it's not a dumb question. There are 2 dumb parts. The first is not asking a question and tearing something up. The other dumb part is not on your part, it's when somebody is an idiot to you for asking something they may find simple so ignore them.
    Now to make hings easier for us to help you, you need to provide us with some information. First is to let us know something about your truck like the year, auto or stick, what you do know about the truck such as tranny model, case model or anything that will effect what you need to know like, you have swapped x year part in and are running say a Holly carb. So you need to start out by saying like " I got a 78 K5 with 350 ,Th350 and 203 case and a Holly carb". That tells us a lot!

Now here is where the confusion comes from not know some information. Most of the people who responded to your post gave you information I'm guessing for 81-91 K5's equiped with a 208 tranfer case. I think you have an older truck because you have mile Marker hubs. Mile mark hubs usualy come with a part time conversion kit for 73-79 trucks with a NP203 full time transfer case. Most people who go out and buy hubs loose to replace say defective "Auto hubs" on 81-91 year trucks usualy get Warn or Super winch. So before you get any bad information or try to shift your truck into 4x4 get back to us with what you got. We can then be sure we are giving you the correct information for your truck.
    If you do have an older truck then either on the shift knob or on the bezel around the shifter it will be marked Low Loc, Low, N, High, High Loc. Since I'm guessing your truck is converted 203 then the LOC posisions of all the way foward and all the way back will be 4x4 modes and 1 click in either direction towards the center will be 2wd drive modes (converted 203's have 2wd low). Propper shift would be tranny in N and on a slight grade shift to what your looking for. I find on my 203 equiped trucks that sometimes they are hard to shift and letting the truck roll some allows them to shift easier. I also find that shiting all the way back then tapping it foward is the best way to get back into 2wd. Never put the truck into 4x4 modes on pavement. You can break drive line prats becuae the tires can't slip like when on dirt and gravel.
    Get back with us and tell us what you have. there are a few things you need to know if indeed you have a 203 that are VERY important to know so you don't damage that case. Also please fill out your Bio. It will help us if you have your truck info there also incase you for get to list what you have in your questions or comments.
    See ya on the trails!

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/