Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dumb question....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dkodyssey, Mar 16, 2003.

1. dkodyssey

dkodyssey Registered Member

well first off i know im blue but im broke at the moment i DO however plan on contributing in the near future....

if i put 33"s on my 87,what gears should i use f/r?

what about 36"s f/r?...i havent decided what i want to do but those are the size tires i would be useing.

i am a bad speller i think i may have spelt a few things wrong so bare with me... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

It all depends on If you have a 700R4, what kind of wheelen your gonna be doing, If you drive on the street at all and you ALWAYS want the same gears front and rear.

3. dkodyssey

yea 700r/208.it will be a daily driver,nothin big offroad,just beginer trails,i just want to mainly re-gear to compinsate for the bigger tires.

ok what about re-gearing for 35"s,i made my decision im going to go with 35"s.thanks

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I have 700r/205 and I run 35in BFG's with 4.56's that maybe to much for 33's but if you plan on going up in tire size I would go with the 4.56.

Oh and Welcome to CK5

Eric

5. dkodyssey

thanks,im going to run 35" swamper tsl's

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I bought my K5 with plans for a 6" lift and 35" tires. Got the lift, but befor I got the tires I decided 35" just isn't big enough for me. So now the plans are to get rid of the blocks in the rear, (Going with a Shackle flip and lift spring combo) Still only going to be 6" suspension lift. I'll be using 38" tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif so maybe alittle fender trimming is in order. Sometime latter on I'll add a 1" body lift with new poly mounts when I go to a dual transfer case (Doubler). So ya see, sooner or later the thought of tires bigger then 35's will get ahold of you. So instead of regearing your current axles, you might wanta think about doing a axle swap. 3/4 axles are cheap, bolt right in, (Need conversion U-Joint), have the gears you'll need, come with bigger breaks, and will save you money over just swapping gears.

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I have the 700/208 right now and i ran 35 on the stock 3.73's without a problem I was running a 14b sf and a 10b
    now i am running a 14b ff and a d44 witch will be a d60 in 2 weeks with 4.11's
    3 weeks age i got my new 38" groundhawgs put em on the truck and in less that a week I smoked the 700r
    So from my experience if you are running a 700r you can run up to 35's or so on 3.73's or 4.11's but if your going to go
    bigger like 38's + then think LOW GEARS.
    I am going to 5.13's in the new d60 and 14bff.
    If your running a 700r it doesn't hurt to gear it down lower that you need right now because you have overdrive so you will still get the gas miledge and you will have lots of power down low.
    So gear down if you want your tranny to last!!!!