Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Fast, Dec 24, 2000.

1. Fast

Fast Registered Member

Well actually 2 On an 84 which way do you turn the front hubs to lock them? An I have been getting the dreaded hot gear grease smell after even a few miles of driving in the front end area of the truck. any help, as I am taking it to Missouri early Tuesday morning and would like to catch what it is before I go.

Thanks

Fast 84 K5

http://www.fast.coloradok5.com

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I've got Warn premium hubs on my Blazer and mine turn clockwise to engage. I can't imagine why yours would be any different, but who knows.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna gues you have already checked the fluid level in your diferential.....and checked for the obvious oil leaks...seems to me...if you can smell the hubs area, it's too late and you're hearing other noises also...bad bearings usually don't smell, they grind (roar)....Chevy's are really bad about leaking from the rear of the valve covers down the back of the motor...pretty hard to spot sometimes...if you have manual hubs, and your transfer case is in 2wd....the front diff isn't even turnin'.....I'd be more inclined to look for the oil leak....good luck...JD

89 Jimmy headers built 700R Auburns Molys 4:10 4" 10B/12B Con-ferrs 10" Rallies 33" BFG Muds Alpine/Fosgate

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I believe 84 came with auto granading locking hubs. If you have locking hubs then they are aftermarket. The brand should be on the face. get back with us when you can tell us a brand.
    Look at your exhaust manifolds and around the valave covers. only place that gets hot enough to burn off oil is the manifolds and exhaust. probably a valve cover leak. Cheap to fix if you can do it yourself. Get it hot and look for the smoke.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

5. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

first off, no question is dumb if you don't know the answer to it, that is why this forum is here.
    Second, every hub that I have ever been around has turned clockwise to lock and counterclockwise to unlock.
    Check your diff fluid to see if it is full and reach in to get some on your finger, feel for water spots or look for discoloration.
    the only things that I can think of that would get hot at the wheel is a tight caliper which would cause some wierd smells, or the bearings. drive your rig for a few miles then get out and grab the hubs, if they are so hot you can hardly touch them then something is wrong with one of the two mentioned items.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

6. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

There are no dumb questions,only dumb answers..no..thats not it. There are no dumb questions, only dumb as#es, NO,dangit! That's not right either! There are no questions,only answers..AWWWW SCREWIT! LOL j/k

"I'm not stuck...I'm just re-evaluating my line"

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Into the eggnog there ED? [​IMG] I've got some X-mas Rye on the go here![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

8. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

NAAAAH, ran out-boooo-hooooo! LOL

"I'm not stuck...I'm just re-evaluating my line"

9. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I'm laughing my ass off here at work ... all by myself! Good thing I guess ...