Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dumb shock question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AkMudr, Jan 23, 2005.

1. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I think everyones allowed to ask 2 dumb questions a year, I'm usin this one form last year :D

So.....as I search around, I see that shocks are sold by an even amount of lift inches...if you have an odd # inches of lift, would you round up or down..

For example..you have 5" of lift..would you rock a 4" lift shock or a 6" lift shock.

Common sense tells me to round up but I wanna see what the "viewers" think.

2. Afireinside

Afireinside Registered Member

I would definitly go up to LIKE 6 inches.It will probably be just right.GOOD LUCK

3. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

Id rather have that little bit of extra travel out of it...i have 7" and got 6" shocks (asked for 8" but i dunno if pro comp makes them that long for my truck) and they aren't too short but i wish they were longer...ohhh well, ill gain it back when i put a 14 bolt in and new shock tabs higher up on both axles...

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would use different shock mounts and the longest traveling shocks I could find.

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I have enough on my plate and wont have the time to change the mounts for ext travels, but that is somethin i wanna do.

kinda wierd, superlifts go from 5-8 then 10-12 inch, and im about right in the middle at 9" . i did check the specs and the only difference is 4.5 extension.

i'll probly just get the 10-12'rs, they will get me by for a bit...cant really complain @ $15 each

5-8
    frt - 85140 - 26.07 ext 15.5 collapsed
    rear - 85150 - see below
    10-12" lift
    frt - 85150 30.07 ext 17.5 col
    rear - 85160 34.5 ext 21.0 collapsed

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It takes about an hour to cut the stock mounts off and put a set of Ford towers on. It's a piece of cake.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

best method is to figure out what shock you want, buy the longest one they make and then use custom mounts to secure them.

j

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I'll do that later on. I'm just lookin to get by at the moment. With the ones I'm lookin at theres about 13.5 travel(unless i'm doin somethin wrong..34.5ext/21.0col/13.5travel), good enough for me. Its not a dedicated crawler so right now long travel shocks arent on my list of priorities.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I would get them a bit longer. I have 7" of lift with 6" shocks and I never bottom them out, but they are always pulled tight when the suspension droops.

10. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

At the moment its more of a price thing. I could put what they show as a rear shock ont he front, which would give me 34.5 ext and 21.0 col in front and rear.

I dunno if that would be too much in front and maybe stick with the ones just below it at 30.5ext and 17col. The 85160's from Superlift are the biggest ones they carry.

Like I said, I'm not lookin for somethin that'll give ext. travel, I'm just lookin to get by for the time bein. $15 each is fine for me if they'll get me by.

I'll have about 9" front and rear and will be runnin 10-12" lift shocks, works for me.