Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dumb softop question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by meatloafK5, Feb 8, 2002.

1. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

I have been looking at getting a soft-top both for practicality and light weight, but unfortunately I live in PA where it tends to snow and get cold at times. I basically want to know if anyone else uses a soft-top in a cold climate and how it works for you? And yes, my heater works! How does it handle snow and cold? Thanks guys/gals.

...who knew working on a Blazer would be this addictive!

84 K5 Blazer 305 with lots of rust.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I have both hard & soft. Once season, while I procrastinated on fixing the cracks in my hardtop (I would have got a new one, but it's the '73-75 style...$$$) I ended up running the soft top until early January. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. I wouldn't recommend it. At the time, it was my daily driver. Very Drafty. (funny how you don't notice that in the summer). It might be a little less cold & drafty if it was the '76-'91 style with Steel half cab.

BlazerMan

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I have a 74 and my buddy has a 73, I run my soft top in summer and hard top in winter and he runs his year round and I gotta tell ya it gets cold in his truck and wet too since we live in Washington. If you have a 76 -91 then it might not be to bad, also I have a HD blower moter for my heater and he doesn't so that makes a big diff...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. meatloafK5

Thanks, this is some of the info I was looking for. I do want to have the lighter rear-end, but I don't know about the cold when it's below 20-30's, and about the possibility of water leaks due to snow build up on the roof.

84 K5 Blazer 305 with lots of rust.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by meatloafK5 on 02/08/02 07:25 PM.</FONT></P>

5. meatloafK5

Anyone run a softop year round on a 79-91 in cold climate?

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I don't yet but I plan to. I only live about 40 minutes from you in Gettysburg so we basically have the same weather. I will be keeping my hardtop handy just incase I run into problems but once I have a garage the truck fits in it probably won't be a daily driver anymore.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

7. meatloafK5

I will probably do the same Wayne. Mine is not a daily driver now/yet. I really want that roofrack as well. I think the possibilities are endless with those tops.