Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb speedo question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78k20, Apr 6, 2004.

1. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

OK, so I lost the speedo shortly after I got the truck several months back. No biggie, just figured it was that little "key" deal between the case and the adapter. I replaced upper and lower cables, the main AC cruisemaster unit, and bought all the "key's" the local dealer had. This worked good for several months, but then the speedo quit all of a sudden, entirely.

I pulled it apart this morning, found that little "key" was sheered in half at the case, and was actually twisted almost three full rotations-making it a pain to pull out! Grrr... Anyway, I can't see anything wrong anywhere, and hooking the drill up to the lower end of the lower cable will produce about 15mph on the speedo.

So-what would cause this little "key" to twist/snap like that? it seems to be made of a really cheesy aluminum, not the old solid steel kind they used to be-are they just not strong enough??? I did find a section of cable about 2" long that was resting on the pipe, burned a bit. Would that possibly melt the inside, making it difficult to spin the cable itself, and the drill had enough "oomph" to break it loose??? I realize most of you probably don't use the speedo anyway, but as the wife takes it to work, she gets a little paranoid if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Best of Luck,

Mike

2. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I got the one in my burban replaced because the wife got a ticket driving it. The speedo shop made me a new cable with steel ends on it. No prob since. Been over two years.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Try spinnin the cable with your fingers. Maybe just maybe you'll find it that way. I dunno though cuz on account I had all of the jacket worn off, with tranny fluid leakin out of it and the speedo still worked.

Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

alot of the ends are plastic in the 80s, blue or black

good luck