Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb tire size question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny, Jul 24, 2001.

1. johnny

johnny Registered Member

I am going to run 35s on my 86 k5 4" lift/ Should I run a 14.5 or 12.5 width? 14.5 looks bad ass/ im thinking of either 35x15x14.5 thornbirds or 35x15x15 tsl's. Any opinions? I also can get new 35x12.5 Goodyear MTR on weld typhoons for $1500 but they dont look beefy enought to me. Also if anyone has any pics of k5s with the same specs as I want to run please send them to me. Thanks you guys rule. Also if you know a place where i can get a swing away spare carrier let me know/

My paycheck = more K5 parts<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by johnny on 07/24/01 08:30 AM.</FONT></P>

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You will probably have more fender to tire clearance issues with the wider tires, but even with the 12.50's you might have to trim the lower corners of the fenders depending on how you use the truck. Most people seem to get buy okay with 35's and 4" of lift on the street but from my experience moderate fourwheeling (getting the truck really twisted up) can cause the tires to hit the fenders, but generally only a very small (and mostly unnoticable) amount of trimming is needed for clearance.

I agree with you that the wider tires like the Swampers look really good and perform great off-road, but keep in mind that the ride, handling, noise, and wear on the pavement of a wide super-aggressive tire isn't exactly top notch. Most of this is just a matter of personal opinion and what you can tolerate, but if you don't have any experience with tires like this it would be good to keep these factors in mind. I've seen alot of people who have lifted a truck for the first time and slapped some bias-ply Swampers on, then spent the next couple months looking cool on the street driving back and forth to work only to put some 33" all-terrains on it the next time around because they couldn't stand the ride anymore.

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I've got 35x12.4 Mickeys on my '84 K-5.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

4. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I would go a bit wider. My 35 x 12.50's are good but the added floatation would be nice...go with the 14.50's

5. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I'd love to get some 14.5s to keep on a spare set of wheels to use when I go up for muddin!!

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

6. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Whatever you do dont get thornbirds they cant clean their tread out worth crap !

Paul a.k.a. Paulie a.k.a. Juan Valdez, take your pick ! [​IMG]

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

14.5s look cool but there is a HUGE jump in price between 12.5s and 14.5s.

"I AM THE HILIFT KING"<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Thornbirds suck. enough on that issue.

14.50s aren't going to fit with a 4" lift. My 35x12.50 BFGs rub (can't figure out where, looks like the top of the fender) with my 4" lift even with lowered bumpstops. No way 14.50s are going to clear, not even the slightest chance.

Weld Typhoons and MT/Rs are awesome. Get them!

The 14.50s would be nice for the hardcore deep stuff, but the loss in road manners might push me away from them. Keep in mind that you'll need 12" wide rims for them too.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 Blazer with the 35x12.50 MTRs. I am only running them on 8 inch wide wheels so they dont look wide. I do alot of rockcrawling. My fried has them on 12 inch wide wheels on his 90 Blazer.Either way, they look good on them. Sorry though no pics.

86 Blazer 4" lift 35" MTRs locked front, still 1/2 ton axles <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by DesertDueler on 07/24/01 08:16 PM.</FONT></P>