Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dumb tranny question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddyblzr, Dec 25, 2004.

1. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

hi sorry its a an easy answered one im sure but i wasnt sure so ill ask ck5. will a 2wd turbo 400 mate up to an np205. if not what do i need. i found one for fairly cheap that is a chevy tranny and works
    thanx austin

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

that is a mabey

you didnt say what 205 and adaptor you want to use . if its a 400 adaptor on a factory 32 spline tcase then try this. check the shaft length and if it is a slip yoke tail 2x4 tranny thay are a 27 spline from what i have been told . these 27 trannys where in the 80's trucks. the best way is to take off the tail housing and slip on the 205 to see if it's the right one. don't know if this helps but i did a 4l80-e fixed 2x4 to 205 swap and had to make a 1 1/4" spacer rather than change the tail shaft to the tune of 170 for shaft and 50 for gaskets plus labor. hope this helps.

3. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It depends on what tailshaft you need...
    I believe a th400 out of a 2wd truck with a fixed yoke will work..
    It has to be the short tailshaft with the fixed yoke that bolts onto the end.
    You will remove the bolt in the end of the tailshaft and the yoke, and also remove the speedo drive gear.. and it should be the same as a 4x4 th400. but there are a couple 4x4 tailshafts.

Here check this out:
    http://groups.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/newpictures.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=723

5. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

alright from the picture it looks like the short tailshaft with the fixed yoke. the transmission that is in my pickup i have no idea if it works. the pickup used to be a manuel and when i bought it, it had been converted to a automatic but still had the whole in the floor and the original steering column. so i got a new column for it and im not sure if i should try and c if the t350 works. i would much rather just get a turbo400 and be done with it cuz i know there alot stronger. not sure what i should do yet. and i also have an np208 i wont be using. not sure if it works either.

6. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

would i need any adapter for this. or will they bolt right up to each other? im terrible with tranny stuff ive never had to do it yet i havent been doing this very long first project i started about a year ago. and im only 17 so i gotta try and take as much in from everyone here and all the guys i wheel with that have done it for a while.