Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dumb transfer case question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mxrcr589, Oct 14, 2003.

1. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

this is kinda a dumb question but when is it time to rebuild ur transfer case, i have a 1990 with a 700r4 which just crapped out and i was wondering what are some signs to look for, i noticed that there is some oil leaking where it conects to the drive shaft

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Which crapped out?the trans or transfercase

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I think the trans crapped out and he's wondering if he should rebuild the t-case while he's at it.

My thought is no. It probably doesn't need a rebuild yet. Unless you're getting funky noises, the case popping out of gear, or a sloppy chain...don't mess with it. If you're leaking fluid out of the front or rear ouput, it's just a seal that needs replacing.

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ya,I think you are right. He might be better off getting the whole thing from another truck or the bone yard.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I you are taking it out yourself you might as well crack open the case just for a look. No reason not too. My 208 seemed to be in good working order, but when I popped it open I had some bearings and stuff that were toasted.

Pop the case and look of an excessive amount of metal on the bottom of the case near the magnet and also look for excessive chain slop. If everything is ok then it will cost you $3.99 plus tax for some RTV to seal it back up. If it is torn up it could save you alot more to get it fixed now instead of having it break somewhere in the middle of nowhere.