Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb valve cover breather rubber grommet question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Jan 7, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

That's a mouthful.
    I bought a neew breather for my valve covers and it came with a grommet in the package.
    The problem is that the grommet does not have a hole in it. One could use it as a plug for the hole and not put anything in there. Shouldn't there be a hole in the bottom of the rubber grommet so the breather can....breath?
    It is easy to cut a hole in the bottom of it, but then I started to wonder why it came like this.
    Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    Here's the breather itself.

-- Mike

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It probably just didn't get cut out, if it's just a flap of rubber, it's not a solid piece right..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

On the valve covers I used to have, I bought a set of grommets for it and one of them looks like this one, no hole. I didn't know what to do with it them just like I don't know now.

Can anyone do me a favor and pull their breather for just a minute and tell me if the grommet has a hole in it, or if it like a plug?

-- Mike

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Mine has the hole , I have the elite series covers and I have to remove the breather to put oil in..... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Thanks!
    -- Mike

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably totally unrelated, but my dads 454 uses a rubber plug for the oil fill hole instead of a cap. Piece of crap design, but could that be what yours is for??

More likely they just screwed up on the plug. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

on my new moroso vavle covers the grommet were the same as yours. the instructions said to cut the bottom portion off.

8. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I know exactly what youre talking about. Lots of those grommets that come with breathers are like that, just cut out the bottom. I did see one dumba$$ that came into my work with his breather stuck into the grommet without the bottom cut out, and the other side had a PCV shoved into one without the bottom cut out!?!

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I did see one dumba$$ that came into my work with his breather stuck into the grommet without the bottom cut out

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't laugh too hard, that dumbass could have been me /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    I don't understand what is so hard about them cutting out the bottom, but new grommet sets come like this too.
    -- Mike

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Time is money. It's cheaper to make you cut them out. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. JakeInAZ

JakeInAZ Registered Member

Had the same EXACT problem....and it's my experience that most breather caps that you buy at regular parts stores (ie. Schucks, Checker, Napa) have the same crummy gromet. You can cut the bottom off but the grommet is still not great quality and doesn't hold the breather in very well. Go to the parts store and buy yourself JUST a gromet the diameter of you breather hole. Has worked excellent for me. Just pretend the breather cap never came with a gromet and buy yourself a good, high temp, FULLY sealing one.