Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb Winch Questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SchnorrCS, Feb 14, 2006.

1. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Ok...I don't know a whole whole lot about winches, so I thought I'd post up here.
    1st) I know I want one that will pull about 1 1/2 times my vehicle weight, buit what the hell does my vehicle weigh? (74 K5 with no top doors or tailgate when wheeling)
    2nd) I notice everybody seems to favor Warns, but is that just a made in USA thing, or are mile markers just crap or what? (Please don't just say Warn Kicks ass with no reason why, ok?)
    3rd) You guys think a Warn 8000 would haul my trucks fat butt around or no? The USMC Hummers I have driven have Warn 8000 winches, and I would guess my truck would weigh less than those fat girls.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Also, When I mount this thing, I was gonna make some new bumpers at the same time. I was planning on mounting the winch straight to the frame. Maybe weld some tube in underneath the Rad support for bracing and use some 3/8 or half inch plate with 4 big ass grade 8 bolts on the corners, then use the winch manufacturers mounting hardware to bolt the winch to that plate. MAke sence? Sound good??

Thanks for all you guys help

cS

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

3. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

WARN

This is why im brand loyal,

I have watched a MM 12k stall out,double lined,on a stuck truck.

My warn 12k,single lined,had no problem ripping the same truck free.

4. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Anybody else?

5. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I think that ramsey also makes a great product. I have a Patriot 9500 set up with a qm mount which allows me to put it in a receiver in the front or the back. I'm new to this also and haven't had to use it but found out that my truck (80) weighs roughly 5500 which keeps me in the 150% rating with out even doubling the line. When I talked with other folks who have the same setup they said they never had a problem and their truck is alot heavier because they were running 14 bolt/dana 60 with 42's. Their truck is at least 700 lbs heavier. Take your truck to the warehouse on base and get it weighed, thats what I did. They do it all the time for servicemembers who are doing partial moves and need their vehicle weighed ( I'm Navy and have done this). Later.