Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb wrenchin stuff

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tRustyK5, Nov 4, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Replaced the starter in my truck today. I have the 6.2 and it uses a fairly haevy starter so I was paranoid about dropping it on myself.

I managed to not drop the starter, got the wires hooked up and got it wrestled into place. I got the first bolt started and as I was reaching for the second bolt (while still holding the starter up) the first bolt dropped...and hit me in the forehead. 7/16"x 3 1/2" bolt from 18" over my head...

I guess that first bolt wasn't started. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I figured maybe just a little goose egg (yes it hurt.../forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) but when I got inside my daughter told me I had a big "Owie" on my head. Sure enough there is a round bloody spot on my forehead the size of a dime. I guess the bolt head was sharper than I thought /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

So here I sit...debating whether a band-aid on the forehead, or a scab on the forehead looks the least stupid. Still haven't decided. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

At least the new starter works great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Go with the scab instead of a dorky Band-aid.

... and don't tell anyone (else) that you did it to yourself. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How long did it take you to change the starter? I changed the starter on my grilfriends 83 blazer with the 6.2 and it took me 4 hours to get it off and 30 mins. to put it back on.... I just wanted to know if I was just slow or what. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

So here I sit...debating whether a band-aid on the forehead, or a scab on the forehead looks the least stupid. Still haven't decided. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

Maybe you should try one of these... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Scab or bandaid depends on what kind of story you can whip up to explain it. If you can pull together something that ultimately has you being the hero, then definitely go with the bandaid and see how many people you can get to believe you.

If, on the other hand, you are going to stick to the truth, go with the scab and some of the wife's concealer. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Tell people you are growing a third eye.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I put lots of antibacterial goo and a bandaid on my forehead when I hit myself with a wrench full force /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thats one scar I don't need to explain.

8. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

this one time, my started took a crap in the ex GFs work parking lot. i walked to the parts house and carried that heavy mo fo back. i did the same thing and caught the bolt right on my eye. i saw it coming so i had it closed fortunatly. i still let out a load string of cursing right as the GF and her mother (who i had never met) were walking over to see how i was doing. that was a graet first impression /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. i would go with the scab and tell the truth about how it happened, but rather than the driveway say it happened on the edge of a cliff in the snow with the truck about to roll.

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Shot of Yukon Snakebite will fix ya right up..........bandaid or not. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Let it scab so you can pick at it later...............

Idle hands are the work of the Devil....................

11. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I agree with Skigirl. Tell people that you got in a fight at the wrecking yard, over a D60 front axle, and You came home it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

If ya can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with B.S. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Idle hands are the work of the Devil....................

[/ QUOTE ]

NO

Idle hands are the devil's playground.... Remember the Music Man! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

if it were me i would go whtih the second thing Don said. Just start spouting BS /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

just let it scab over... and be like... Yeah, there I was standing outside the Fast n Hard gas station on 69th street and Flasher Drive. I was minding my own business filling up the tank on my K5, dancing a little jig to the music playing in my head because I'm a little CrAzYYY!!!!!! I went in to pay for my gas, but before I could leave these two huge guys wearing halloween masks came in with a couple shotguns each demanding all of our money (MUTHAFUCKA). I was like "Hell no" and kicked one guy in the nuts. The other guy fired at me, and I pulled some Matrix [darn] and the bullet grazed my forehead and blew up the Frozen Shot In The Mouth machine. I ran to the candy aisle and grabbed a King Size Snickers and started doing some Jackie Chan crap and knocked those fools OUT COLD!!! In the end, after all I did, all I got was a lousy "Thanks, come again!" from the bitch behind the counter /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

That's the story we're looking for! Run with it Rene! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

fast n hard gas station on the corner of 69th and flasher, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. tRustyK5

Damn cappy.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I just told them all I got shot in the head, but they didn't believe me. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

19. tRustyK5

It took me 45 minutes to remove the old starter and install the new one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I've done it a few times when I first swapped the diesel in...so it's a familiar job.

Rene

20. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

come to think of it, the last starter i did was in the in the drive way of a guy i bought a suburban from. mine died in his driveway, droped one off the burban, bolted it into the truck. it was good timing cuz i JUST handed him the envelope with the $$$$$ in it. it took me and my buddy about and hour and a half.