Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumb ?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Dec 20, 2001.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have a set of cheep ass 10s that are in a box, that are currently in my house running off my home system. However, the wife does not like this at all so what do i do with this speakers. One idea is to have '73 K5 make a new box that looks more like a house speaker box for the corner of my TV room, or get a cheep amp that i can use in the K5 that will run off of line level inputs so that i do not have to buy a new radio for the K5. or i can find some one to trade me for a home powered sub woofer for reg. home systems. What do you all think?

91 K5 and 73 Cobalt http://brettmcox.rockcrawler.com

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

yep.

eatin'fords and shittin'dodges down in the sunshine state.

3. WakeBoard&4X4er

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I would say put it in the blazer, car stereo speakers are 4ohm and home stereo speakers are usually 8ohm, they will work together for a while but bad things could happen, what I dont know...I just heard bad things could happen. It was explained to me once like this...an 8 ohm amp pushing a 4ohm speaker is like a 502 big block with a 200r4 transmission, and a 4 ohm amp with an 8 ohm speaker is like a 5hp briggs lawnmower engine behind a jet th400 transmission....Put the sub in your blazer and shop around for a home sub..I found a display model Kenwood with a 100watt amp and 8" sub that will shake the pictures off my walls for $59.00.

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I say...let me make you a box for your house. That way we can throw some 18's in the back of your Blazer instead!
    As for the home versus car speakers thing, it all depends on the wiring. Also, whereas most coaxial speakers and smaller car speakers only come in the 4 ohm variety, you can get most subs either 4 or 8 ohm. If they're 8 ohm then it should be perfect for your home system...and if they are 4 ohm and haven't overloaded the home amp/receiver by now, then the setup is probably safe.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

Actually, I currently have my 2 10, 4 ohm speakers running off of my home receiver. The way that I currently running is I have the 8 and 4 ohm speakers running in Series, thus putting a 12 ohm load on the receiver. I would like to find a those Red Bass Coils, if any one knows what I am talking about. About 5 years ago I could find those all over bout I do not know if any of you have one that wound be great. But have is how of get past the bad load on the receiver.

91 K5 and 73 Cobalt http://brettmcox.rockcrawler.com<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by WakeBoard&4X4er on 12/26/01 08:17 AM.</FONT></P>

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I run two 12" pioneer subs 4 ohm off of a 600 watt kenwood amp with a dc converter in a bandpass box. It will shake the whole house and the the block :)

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Umm Brett .. if you're running an 8-ohm and a 4-ohm in parallel (+ to + and - to -) then the receiver is being presented an ohm load closer to 3.2. If they were run in series (+ to - and - to +) then they would present a 12-ohm load to the receiver.

Scot in KC, MO
    Rough Country wont flex right? - <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun29/aab>Pics</a>
    87 GMC 4" lift, 6 lug 14SF LockRite, 33s

9. WakeBoard&4X4er

You are right, sorry and that is the way that i am running them, series, it is from the + on the receiver, to the home 2 way's +, from the - home 2 way, to the + on the 10s, from the - on the 10s, to the - on the receiver.

91 K5 and 73 Cobalt http://brettmcox.rockcrawler.com

10. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

That little red coil is a passive filter that goes inline on your positive lead to filter out high signals. They are still around but much smaller in design now. Crutchfield has them I think and we carry them in our store. Any reputable car audio shop should have them for installs, but most people use electronic crossivers now and not the passive type.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Put it in the Blazer, use a line level converter. I got my 8" 200 watt powered sub for the home theater off Ebay. I paid $81.00 plus shipping. My home theater, Denon head, 5 KLH speakers, and a Cadence powered sub. It all sounds good. Realy amazing watching DVD's.