Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumbass question: Are 60's just a stepping stone or are they worth $$$$$$.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Nov 3, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Dumbass question: Are 60\'s just a stepping stone or are they worth $$$$$$.

Will my D44 frontend hold up with my 38s and lightweight K5? I dont know what it weighs, but i've shaved off a lot in the past few months. The front is an 8 lug HD with 4.10s and no locker. Will this combo hold with moderate wheeling for a year or so? It's gettin close to being wheelable, and I'm worried bout the frontend. Thanks.

Yeah i'm a damn noob...flame away. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pic of my junk:
    [​IMG]

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Re: Newbie Dumbass question from an old timer.

I think your just trying to show off your sweet rig... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    or your a post whore....

Looks nice man...

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah i'm a post whore...and that rig sucks. I'm thinking about selling it for a samurai. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

This is what I think - No.
    With the type of wheeling I saw in some of your previous posts, I think you'll pop an axleshaft or ujoint.

Keep looking for a Dana 60. I looked for basically two years before I found one, but now it's under my rig. Don't ask about the 33's though okay? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your rig is looking cool. I wanna see some action shots soon. What is keeping you from driving it right now?
    -- Mike

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

lack of cash pretty much. and i need it for a school shop project! thanks, i'll keep my eyes open. How much did it run you to rebuild yours?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> My answer, from experience, since I ran a 44 with 38s for 3 years - No, but it's not going to be really awful. Carry spare shafts with you on every trip, and don't be surprised if you start chunking teeth off of the ring gear. And please don't spend any money trying to upgrade it, especially if you want a 60 anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font color>

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks Shag. Were you locked in the front? Btw, no chance of me modifying anything...alloy shafts are just one step away from wanting a 60 and having WAY too much in 1/2 ton crap!

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I haven't rebuilt it yet.
    I plan on new calipers, brake lines and wheel bearings as soon as I get off my ass and go buy them.
    I want to wheel it like that for a while and then maybe tear into it a little more when I go 35-spline for the outers (good time to replace the inner axle seals.)

I fully agree about not sinking cash into the smaller axle. I used my 3/4ton front axle as a trade-in of sorts and lost money on the deal, not including labor. It had new balljoints, new rotors, new calipers, new wheel studs, warn premium hubs, new axleshaft ujoints, and a 4" raised steering arm.
    Some of that stuff was neccessary just to run the axle, but I lost money on the things that weren't absolutely neccessary.

-- Mike

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My junk is considerably heavier than yours and I managed not to frag my HD 44. I got a 4 speed too which can shock load much more violently than an auto. I think with some 'smart' driving you could pull it off, just don't lock it. Mine was open...

Rene

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I had a Powr-Lok in it, and the clutches were pretty tight so it was about as close to a locker as a l/s could be. I also had the 465 so that probably didn't help. Either way though, you'll definately be on the ragged edge of any semblance of reliability.</font color>

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Leave it open, watch the throttle and carry spare shafts.
    You could try some CTM's and Warn shafts. I running them and have good luck but I'm on 35's.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> CTMs and Warns would help the breakage, but it would also move the weak point ot the delicate bits in the the diff. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Also, the $800 or so that you spend on them would go a long way towards a 60. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah it would go a long way for a USED 60 that may need $500 worth of parts durring a rebuild.
    Unless you get a smoking deal on the axles you can pretty well expect to spend $3k to go one ton. Your going to put $2k into the axles and getting them up to snuff with new tie rods, seals etc. Then about $1k for new wheels and tires unless you already have the tires. So that $800 doesn't look so bad when you looking about about 4 hours work to be near stock D60 shaft strenghts.
    I run 35's and under my diffs I have as much room as somebody on 38's.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> $3000? That would be cheap compared to what I'vwe got going on here. My 1 ton conversion turned into a huge project that has cost me about $4000 so far and won't be done until I've spent about $6000. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It isn't cheap but it's worth it, I spent more time and money working on the damn Dana 44... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif </font color>

15. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

NO NO NO !!!!
    You must have a dana 60 up frt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah, what do you know yankee?

17. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

yeah those axles will hold up to your 38's... besides it stays in the shop anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif j/k

hey, what's up with that jeep hood???

ric

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok throw me a bone here, I'm dreaming of bigger. We've really got 3 options for HD axles in this realm.

1st, D44 and 14 bolt set. that's what I've already got and that's too damn weak for big tires.

2nd, D60 and 14 bolt set. Still marginal for 42 to 44's, not like I'm planning to run these, but still. And price wise:

Axle Set $1600 estimated
    Rebuild Kits $300
    Detroit Front $500
    Hydro Steer $500
    Crossover $300
    New Brakes $100
    New Ujoints $60
    New brake lines $100

Like shaggy said, you're looking at mega bucks once everything gets added up. So what about other alternatives? What's the cost to buy and properly set up a pair of rockwells???? I have no idea on the things, but I think i'm gonna start some research.

Bryan

19. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    yeah those axles will hold up to your 38's... besides it stays in the shop anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah you're a damn bad influence on him! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif