Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dumbest thing you've ever done as a "Master Mechanic"??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Jun 13, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Dumbest thing you\'ve ever done as a \"Master Mechanic\"??

whats the dumbest thing you've ever done as a "master mechanic". Post them because I'm sure we've all done them!
    Did you forget to put in oil or water or trani fluid? Confess up...you know what you did....

My dumbest mechanical mistake was going through at least 4(ok maybe 6) ujoints when I first bought my lifted blazer before realizing that I needed to put grease in them. I was changing those damn things in a shirt and tie on the way to work in the mornings in some parking lot! I thought that the stuff that was in them was enough.

On a smaller scale...did you ever hear a big clank while your on the road and just then remember that you left a wrench under the hood?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: Dumbest thing you\'ve ever done as a \"Master Mechanic\"??

i once forgot the battery holddown in my Powerwagon and had the battery flip over into the rad support while wheeling. needless to say, by the time i got to it, tha battery was toast....

these days i mostly build boat motors for a living. somedays i wish i still worked on cars..

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My dumbest mechanical mistake was going through at least 4(ok maybe 6) ujoints when I first bought my lifted blazer before realizing that I needed to put grease in them. I was changing those damn things in a shirt and tie on the way to work in the mornings in some parking lot! I thought that the stuff that was in them was enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> My driveline guy told me to not put any extra grease in the u-joints... I never have and run them for 2 years at a time without a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif</font>

4. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

This is real bad because I am an ASE certified Master mechanic, and I left the hood just latched on the safty latch so I could drive it with a fuel PSI gauge sticking out. Well you probly allready gest it, at about 50mph the hood pop open, folded over the cab, broke the wind sheild, hood and smashed up the cab. Remember allways look for the ASE mark when picking your mechanic, ha ha.

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hmm. had a wiring nightmare on an escape not too long ago, finished up, went to park it, all of a sudden had a clanking or poppin under the hood, pop the hood and theres my largest snapon screwdriver sliding between the fenders on the cowl... woops

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ever left the oil fill cap off?? I did thats messy /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Today I was so excited about my rear disks I just threw them on, but forgot to put the brackets on LOL.
    -Brian

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I was trimming the fenders a few years ago and got a little carried away at the firewall area and cut right through the emergency brake cable /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I guess it was better that way cause I just pulled out the rest of the e-brake while installing a cage in the blazer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif A lever e-brake is already in the works.

BIGJ

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm id have to ask my dad..hes an ASE certified master to...i know he hurts himself bad with tools once and a while from not thinking...lol but the stories he brings home about some of the other guys wear he works..(ryder truck rental) are great!

9. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

As a G.M. Trained Tech. I of course owned a Ferd 20 some year's ago. And remember the problem Ferd had with the auto trans. going into reverse when it was supposed to be in Park?

I was wrenching on another truck, [in a wheat field] and My Ferd was loaded with a roadbox toolbox, parked with the rearend toward the other vehicle, the Ferd was idleing, I heard it lug down and jumped out of the way just in time as the ferd backed into a C65 grain truck, bent both the tailgate on the Ferd, and just a wrinkle on the C65.

I was lucky needless to say. I think Ferd still has that same problem today. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Hmm where to begin? Most recently I tried to cut off my left index finder with a rotary cutter..made a fabulous scar. When I was a kid me, my pop, and his cousin were installing a new clutch in the 77 K5. We had to jack it up really high and the only way to keep it that high was to put the tires up on blocks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif well we started wiggling and rocking that tranny and CARRUMPH! it rolled of those blocks and damn near squashed all of us. Learned a valuable lesson that day for sure.

I got a mercury capri off a friend back when I was 19. He drove it all the way from main with no front brakes. The discs broke free from the rotors. You had to use the hand brake to stop it. The hood latch was rotted and the hood was held with a coathanger. It was still maine registered where there was no inspection so technically it was road legal. So we go to pick it up and I drive the capri home while the wife drives our chevelle. The capri had the V6 in it so once I was on the highway I opened her up not even thinking with the wife following. She said the speedo in the chevelle read 112 when the coathanger gave and the hood flipped up. Then she started laughing because the next thing she saw was my head pop out the door window so I could see to pull over /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I killed the hood, windshield, sunroof, and roof with that little piece of brilliance. It's a wonder I lived to see 27. More to come if I feel like sharing.

11. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I drove off when I had one of the front wheels jacked up slight off the ground.

12. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I crossed threads on theoil filter thought it was tight. Started that bad boy up and 1/2 the oil poured out in a matter of seconds. Got in moms minivan backed out the garage in a hurry to get more oil and hit the garage door that was 3/4 of the way up. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Had a Chevy Corsica with a miss-fire under load. Popped the hood and saw a pile of "stuff", packed in a neat little concave-ball. Thought to myself "WTF is that ?" - as I mindlessly reached for it.. and...
    Bow...
    Zap...
    Zap...
    Zap...
    I got nailed by the Distributerless Ignition system.
    After I was finaly able to let go, I realized something got under there and made a nest - out of the plug wires.

That sucked !

14. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Prolly the most common one to all of us - when the old oil filter decides to leave the gasket behind....

Had a friend that didn't tighten down his rod caps, only made it a half mile. Would have been good pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Prolly the most common one to all of us - when the old oil filter decides to leave the gasket behind....

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> I've done that! Now I always check to make sure it comes off with the filter. I've also left the oil cap off... 3 times on the same car. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Never on any other one. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Forgotten to put the drain plug back in before refilling with oil too, that's probably fairly common. </font>

16. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have got to share my stupidity too. Last fall I was performing a Front brake job on my wifes minivan. All went well, new rotors fresh pads and such. My gear head neighbors showed up to help which is to say they came over to drink beer and give me grief. I got the job done and we had planned on sending the wife to go run after Chinese food for us all.

Now my wife is not the most talented in backing the van from the detached garage, out the gate and out to the street without wiping the side of the van on something. Being the nice husband I am (and being hungry and in a hurry) I hop in to back it out for her.

Reminder, I had to push the caliper pistons back in to fit the new pads. Needless to say as soon as I yanked that shifter into reverse and started creeping my foot on the brake hit the floor. In that split second I have to decide to hit the house or the end of the wood gate. I choose the gate, CRUNCH!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif What a sound. Wanting to pull the van off of the gate to inspect the damage, I shove the shifter to drive and now I am heading right for the ass end of my '69 Nova, again without an ounce of brakes. AW SH!!!!!T!!!! Now time to choose, nail the Nova or Plow into the pear tree. Of course I yank the wheel and aim for the tree. BANG!!! I hit it so hard pears were falling on the roof.

Needless to say, my wife stood and witnessed my brillance, along with a half dozen buddies. I pumped the brakes up and pulled it back into the driveway where I started.

No injuries, but I did manage to brake the gate, run over the stool I was sitting on, Run over a couple tools, run over a tube of grease (smeared on the driveway) and a nice chunk of bark off of the tree. The van survived with minor scratches, but I'm still surprised that I did not blow the air bag off hitting that tree!!!

Moral, Pump the brakes after a brake repair!!!! TO this day I still get harassed for it.

17. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

That one - got me... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I can totaly see it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Been there too.
    Anyone else know the sound of the "parking powl" when you try to stop the thing by throwing it into "park".
    Sounds kinda like this,
    "DumbassDumbassDumbass.Dumbass..Dumbass...Dumbass....Dumbass.....clunk"

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

While doing a cam swap on my old 350 I thought I'd take care of a few other problems...mainly a perpetually leaky pan gasket. I bought a new one piece pan gasket, cleaned and painted the pan etc etc. I got the pan and gasket up into position and got all the bolts started so the pan was hanging there but not really touching the engine.

Anyways, the phone rang and I ended up yakking on the phone for 20 minutes or so with a buddy before I got back to working on my truck. I filled it with oil and finished up some small details topside before firing it up to break in the new cam.

If you haven't guessed I never did remember to tighten the pan bolts and I blew about 2 quarts of oil onto the carport floor before I noticed anything was wrong./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I had to shut it down during the cam break in and get the pan tightened up and add some more oil. That cam never did get a proper break in...and i had one hell of a mess to clean up.

How many times have I had the distributor 180 degrees out??? I'm embarrassed to even count but it has to be at least a half dozen times now

How about trying to pull a 14 bolt carrier out but forgetting to pull the axle shafts first?/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (duh...why won't it come out???)

Truck in nuetral, front end on stands doing ball joints. Finish front end work and drop one side down off the jackstand and jack up the drivers side front to get the second stand out. As soon as the jack came down far enough that the wieght of the truck was on the tires again the truck took off backwards out of the carport and down our driveway.

I sprinted after it and managed to smack my knee really good befor stopping it a few feet from the neighbors fence/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rene

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone else know the sound of the "parking powel" when you try to stop the thing by throwing it into "park".
    Sounds kinda like this,
    "DumbassDumbassDumbassd.Dumbass..Dumbass...Dumbass....Dumbass.....clunk"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's friggin great Eric!! I just found a new signature!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

20. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Um.. thats .... from what I've been told it sounds like /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif