Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dummies driving SUV

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Derf00, Dec 29, 2000.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I don't know if it was a repeat, but last night on 20/20 they once again proved that dummies can't drive SUV's. I thought it was interesting that for the roll-over they showed an old S-10 run off the road and then jerk it back on the road and needless to say it rolled. But for the rest of the demonstration they used a new Mercedes with with training wheels and a new "ESP" braking system run through cones on flat ground. The point was that the technology is available for the braking system and has been for some time, but is only available on new top end SUV's. I would have liked to see the Mercedes run through the same manuver, but I guess 20/20 can't afford to tear up a $50,000 yuppiemobile.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I agree that a lot of people that are driving them shouldn't, but it is a free country! :) So instead of blaming the untrained,dont know how to drive a$$hole$, the blame the SUV!!!!! No $hit the damn thing isn't going to handle like a car!!!

Sorry for venting!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I drive to Cleveland and back ten times a week- it is HILARIOUS watching these yuppie skirtboys driving their 40-k status mobiles in the snow. Saw a damn TAHOE! that whacked the gaurd rail...what, ya could'nt find the auto-trac button, ya pinhead?

"I'm not stuck...I'm just re-evaluating my line"

4. undertow

undertow Registered Member

i feel like so dirty... well not really... I drive a Tahoe (needed a reliable daily driver, and I worked for 5 1/2 years to save up for it!), but it does seem like I'm the only one the road that knows how to drive it. There are folks out here driving burbs, tahoes ( as well as excursions, expeditions, and all the new fancy eurocrap) weaving in and out of traffic like they're a bat outta hell. Unfortunatly in SoCal, the weather doesn't ussually get bad enough for people to show how ignorant they really are. They expect a 3 ton Excursion to have the same stopping distance as a honda civic.

[​IMG]

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Problem is, most people don't even understand the physics involved in driving a car, let alone an SUV with a much higher center of gravity. I take my toys out and determine what the limits are, in a safe place. I don't want to find out how a vehicle will respond in an emergency maneuver when it's really an emergency! I want to have some practice under my belt in a controlled environment.

I've been driving 4WD's since 1978 (way before they were "cool"!) [​IMG] and know that they have limits. People that trade in their Honda on a brand new Excursion don't have any idea how different it's going to respond. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

6. undertow

undertow Registered Member

I hear you on that! First thing I did when I got the Tahoe (was driving an S-10 for years) was take it out to an empty lot and get a feel for it for 2 hours. That time alone had saved my ass twice since I bought her!! Thank God I had a full tank on each occassion, otherwise I would've been smeared all over the road!! It suprised me how different she handles between full/empty compaired to the s-10. You can never know your truck well enough!

[​IMG]