Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dump bed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DUKSRULE, Jun 11, 2003.

1. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

Anyone install one? Where did you get the kit if you used one? I am looking for one of the kits that turn your normal bed into a dump bed.
    Thanks

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

You could probably go to the Trucks! website and get all the info there. They just did an episode of an installation of one that used an airbag.

3. hoosierk3500

hoosierk3500 Registered Member

You might want to look at pierce sales.I think they have the kit you are looking for.Comes with all the hardware.Jason84k3500 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif85k2500 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If you plan on actually using the dump bed I strongly recommend against the airbag style. We have 2 dump trucks and a dump cart all of which are hand built. The one dump uses 2x 2 stage 10 ton cylinders and has a wood bed, not real feasable for you. The other truck is a stock 86 F150. We had a couple uni hoist kits left in our shop from the previous owner who was a dealer. They didn't have pumps so I had to buy those separate, but one went on the F150 and the other on a custom dump cart I built.

Basically you want to evaluate how hard you are going to use it. I still stand by a hydraulic kit. You can get em with 12v pumps that run off the vehicles battery. Next, how much are you planning to haul? Take that and multiply it by 1.5 to get the capacity dump you want. If you are planning to dump 1 ton, get a 1.5 ton unit. Also realize that you will probably have to remount the fuel tank filler. The instructions with our kit had the filler mounted in the wheelwell but we didn't like that idea so we left it where it was and just shortened it. We have to raise the bed slightly to put gas in it but that has never been a problem. And I like the looks I get when people see it at the pump /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Also you will need to do something with your rear bumper. Most kits come with brackets to reconnect the bumper after the hinges are installed. Or if your truck originally came from the factory with the option of no bumper you can just remove it like we did.

I think any kit described as bolt on will work, just be sure you size it right for your needs.