Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dump front sway bar????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by buzzk5, Sep 12, 2001.

1. buzzk5

buzzk5 Registered Member

swapping in a D60 front,...should i retain the weight or dump it ???
    any wild suprises without it....run 80K5 on frozen lakes up her,
    building for deep snow...all offroad use ...but lic'ed & reg'ed just
    in case...condolences....

are they all spinning ????

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

You could get a sway bar correction/disconnect kit from ORD and have the best of both worlds?

I just installed mine and it was very easy. I raises the sway bar connections up 2" to correct for a lift, and has pull pins that allow you to disconnect the sway bar when you want the added articulation. Then when you're done wheelin', you reconnect the bar for street use.

Many CK5 members have removed their swaybars altogether, and don't have any problems, so that is always an option too.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <a target="_blank" href=http://stoopalini.off-road.ws/blazer>My Blazer Site</a>

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I"m not running a sway bar anymore, and in all honesty, I don't miss it one bit. I went from 31's and no lift to 4" lift and 36's without it and it drives fine. I have yet to run into any suprises with this thing.

Kyle
    89K5

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I dont have one either.I didnt lose it cuz the weight I took it off to gain flex.The only time I notice it is on curvy roads but its not bad enough to make me put it back on.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

1st gen. Blazers / Jimmys did not have sway bars from the factory. I don't miss it a bit.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Depends on the stiffnes of the springs. I kept mine because I have tuff country ez ride springs. They are realy soft, so you need the extra help with the sway bar. My buddy used the rough country springs. They are so stiff that the front end comes off the griund instead of flexing, so we removed it because it didn't do anything. Didn't feel a difference on his.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I took mine off and in reguards to the previous post Im running Skyjacker springs and I can tell a difference but its nothing major like Im worried Im gonna flip over in the turns or anything.

"you know... the guy with the BAD A$$ spring perches!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

8. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

took mine off to gain some flex. it's not a daily though so i don't miss it a lick.

uh, think it'll fit?

9. MudTruk

MudTruk Registered Member

In my opinion it would go with the ORD disconnect. The sway bar is mainly on the truck to offer safety in cornering to prevent body roll, or a possible rollover. The ORD unit allows you to retain the safety factor, and still have good off roading attitude. Since you mainly use your truck off road, you can dump it all togeather. Seems like most people relplying don't miss thiers. I keep mine on because I mainly run in the mud, and don't need the flex that much. Consider your possibities and go with it. Keep the sway bar around in case you want to put it back on.

Pete

Gotta go, before ya show!

10. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I took mine off to do a cross over steering, but I havn't been able to drive it yet.

I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Frankenstein>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Frankenstein</a>

11. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>if your swaping in the 60 are you also doing the crossover steering? if your doing the crossover i dont think you can keep the swaybar. i believe it interferes with the crossover[​IMG]

<font color=blue>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT [​IMG]
    <font color=red>PROUD TO BE AMERICAN [​IMG]

[

12. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i must add that i did notice a difference.
    but not in the ride or turning, it was in the steering!
    it made my steering more loose than it already was, so i onlytake mine off for wheelin. it takes me 5min to unscrew the bolts.

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

13. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

DesertDueler, I also have TC Easy Ride (4") and noticed an improvement in ride quality. With the softer springs, disconnecting the swaybar allows the springs to work more independently of one another. Softer springs have an increased range of motion which is restricted by the swaybar.
    Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert, nor do I have a degree in physics or extensive experience in metalergy(sp?), it's just my observation.

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!

14. buzzk5

buzzk5 Registered Member

i'm really gettin interested in crossover steer.....i didnt think it was done so often...
    its all apart now, and needs a new tie rodanyway....what kinda loot are we lookin
    at , does it eliminate me finding a steering block?...is it all rig by rig custom made
    or is it mostly bolt on?....
    thanks guys , gonna go without the bar but like the disconnect angle....

dave
    80K5 on ice

are they all spinning ????

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Good luck with your crossover project. I have a RC lift and went with the disconnect kit from ORD. I do notice a difference without the swaybar when driving at higher speeds. I rolled a jeep before and am a little leary of body roll. I kept mine as safety for my and my family. Certainly doesn't seem to hurt anything while on the road. And I dosconnect it offroad where it isn't needed and can actually be a detriment to safety by keeping thing too stiff.

Brian
    A new day.... May God be with us all.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Tribute</a>

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Dave,
    The cross-over requires a flat top D44 knuckle for the passenger side. It needs to be machined for studs like the drivers side knuckle. A 2WD steering box is used and a long steering arm is attached to the passenger side. ORD sells most of what you'll need to do the conversion. I think you'll have to scare up a flat top knuckle though.
    Also the crossmember under the front of the motor may need trimming or altering for clearance.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>