Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dump Truck Transmission

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StiffRide81, Oct 9, 2002.

1. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

I had a buddy of mine take a look at my trans and give me a quote on a clutch job. He is a certified mechanic for a large chevrolet dealership in chicago. He looks under there and tells me that sure... he can do the clutch but that I have a transmission out of a huge ass chevrolet dump truck... and a transfer case out of some other large vehicle!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I always thought my trans and t-case looked a little different than those that I have seen.. but I didnt really think much about it. The trans also has 2 PTO's on it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    So I think I am going to get a hydraulic winch because they are so much stronger.... Where can I get one??????

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Find out more for us! Curious!

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

SM 420's and 465's were used in dump trucks for a lot of years. If you have a different tranny, I'd be curious to know what it was. A Clark maybe? What kind of t-case? It's not an SM420 and Rockwell 221 Tcase is it?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Haha : )

What GM is using now for t-cases and transmissions, I'm thinking hes never SEEN a 465/205 in a truck before. Probably what you have, although of course there was a 3 speed manual also available a few years.

You can find PTO winches in the for sale ads locally here quite often, and fairly cheap ($200 or so) and if you go to swap meets, you'll see the PTO driven(?) gear setup that bolts to the tranny for less than $25 probably.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would say if it's not an SM420 or 465, it would be a clark.
    I have seen those in bigger trucks before.
    But you're right maybe it's just an SM465 and he got confused because of the PTO's.