Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dunk dunk noise from converter!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kristoffer, Jul 26, 2001.

1. kristoffer

kristoffer Registered Member

hey, i have a 77blazer k5 cheyenne with a th 350.
    and i have a dunk dunk sound from my converter. NOT DONK DONK! but dunk dunk, if you understand, its not a very high sound.
    do u think i need to replace it?

Kristoffer
    1977 blazer k5 cheyene

Sory for my bad english! :)

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

From the convertor??? Change your tranny fluid and filter!! Maybe it's low...

Man, I'm racking my brain for what would cause the TC to make sound, and can't come up with anything.
    Have you checked for really simple stuff yet, like a tired tranny/engine mount? But then maybe it's something really simple, like a tired tranny/engine mount. Maybe it's clunk that sounds like a dunk...lol

These are pretty unlikely events, but for a wierd symptom, maybe worth looking into:
    Drop the inspection cover and rotate the engine by hand to see if it's (the sound) present and where, maybe you have a crack in the flywheel or the convertor housing. Maybe somehow the flywheel to convertor bolts came loose, too. I knew a guy once that thought he could get away with only 2 of the 3 bolts until he could get a new one, and ripped the flywheel apart when he put it in drive. Had to do that tranny removal twice... If your bolts are loose, get them tightened before you lose one.

When does the sound occur? During acceleration? Reverse or forward only? Has driveability changed? Maybe the bellhousing is loosening and slapping the engine, also causing the convertor to slide in and out making the dunk dunk sound. If so, fix that quick too! Imagine the tranny falling out while driving....
    On my S10, I found my convertor neck had a nice big crack running down it when I swapped the tranny. A little more driving on it and I think it would've popped open, making the tranny unsalvageable...
    Those are extreme thoughts though, check the simple stuff first, and give us some more details if you can!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

3. 85K5MT

85K5MT Registered Member

I've got an '85 that was making a "dunk, dunk" noise from the converter area but also had a low whiney nosie coming from the transmission that fluctuated with the speed of the engine. Inspected the pan to find a fair amount of very fine shavings that the local tranny shop guy to me was the aluminum inside of the pump that was eating itself up. I replaced the filter and all noises went away (filter was clogged so bad it was straining to get fluid) so now I'm waiting for it to leave me stranded.

Chas.

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Had the same thing on my TH700R4. The flywheel to converter bolts were backing out. A little thread lock and I was good to go.

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

5. kristoffer

kristoffer Registered Member

the tcase is new good oil and godd filter. but i am going to tighten the bolts to the flyweel.

Kristoffer
    1977 blazer k5 cheyene

Sory for my bad english! :)