Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dunno if this has been coverd yet, 56 inch front springs, 57 rears.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I got the 3/4ton 56" rear springs, I was thinking i should move those up front, and put some 57"s in the rear, And im trying to think of how much lift those 3/4tons would put up front, Since the stock front springs are actually negative arch.... Do you think that, 3/4ton front springs, with a Dana60 and a 0 rate, would net me around 5 inch lift? or what? any suggestions? thx.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

just putting the rears up front will net about a 5" so add the dana 60 (5/8" or so) and the zero...closer to 6.5"
    and flex will be WAY better then the stock fronts.

have fun squeezing the 56's up there. I go tthe 57's in the front but I don't use the front body mount.

-Jeremy

3. Silver84k5

why do you think it would be hard to "squeeze them in there?" are they wider or something?

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    why do you think it would be hard to "squeeze them in there?" are they wider or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Length of the spring. If I remember right you can move the front hanger forward and use a really long front shackle to squeeze in a 52" stock rear spring up front on a blazer.
    With the position of the front cab mount it would be hard to move the front shackles back and even if you did get them moved back it seems to me that you would be bringing the axle back a couple inches toward the cab to get the axle to the center point of the spring?
    Second, I would think 3/4ton 56" spring up front would be kind of a stiff ride. Find someone tossing a set of 52" blazer springs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That's my thoughts /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

length wise.
    My 57's required a 7" long shackle and I have to knotch the 2nd body mount to clear it. the front hangers were flipped side to side, since you guys use that firsdt body mount to mount your core surpport ya have to do more drilling and measuring. On mine to get mine in I flipped the brackets side to side and lowered them one set of holes(top hole is not bottom hole) and then made the shackles. I like how mine turned out, Just have to dress up the front mount so it isn't so ghetto. And for the 56's not flexing as much, they will flex better then your fronts did and you don't need the overload in there when ya bolt them up.

Flex away.....

-Jeremy

PS I ghetto ramped mine with a cherry picker and I had the front tire just about 2' off the ground and the rears had no idea what was going on, they hadn't moved yet.LOL!!!

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I started with stock 52s in the front, thats about as long as I think would helpfull. The upper shackle mount is in the stock location, the front hangers are moved forward as needed.

Net lift was apox 3-4", with some leafs swaped in and out.

I wasn't happy with the drop, it was far better than the stock set-up - but, it was being pulled up on the dropped side, by the spring. So, I ended up useing 4" lifted 52" rear spings (53" actual length) - these springs had alot of "free-arch", which forced the axle down when dropped.

Hope that helps some.

7. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Twiz, How far forward did you have to move the front spring hanger? What leaves did you swap in/out?

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And the crowd says "this thread is worthless without pics."

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And the crowd says "this thread is worthless without pics."

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Silver84k5

So the 4 inch 52 rears, would net you about 8 inches in the front? im trying to keep it a little lower then that atleast until i go to 42 or 44s someday, with the 39's i want to keep it right around 5-6 inches. thx for the input.

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Springs, length
    Here is a comparison of the springs I used, the main leaf is a rear 52" -4" lift leaf, the 2nd,3rd and 4th leafs are from a rear pack on a S10.
    Springs, Free arch
    Here you can see the free-arch. After screwing around with the stock pack, it was apperent that the spring just wasn't "forceing" the dropped side down - at all. So, the new pack, has about the same spring rate - but far more free-arch, which helps push the droppped side down.
    Springs, leaf thickness
    Here is a side-by-side shot of a typical 4" lift front spring and of the new pack. You can kinda' see the difference in the thickness of each leaf.
    Old crappy side picture of the shackle angle.
    All of that, to get this. The shackle is laid back, which is by far the most important thing, in getting the front axle to articulate.