Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dupli Color Spray On Top Pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Todd78/87, Mar 1, 2000.

1. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

THIS IS IN REFERENCE TO "PAINT'N THAT FIBERGLASS TOP" POST BELOW
    Here you go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Todd<font color=purple>78/87</font color=purple>
    [​IMG]

2. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Looks good! How much did it take to cover the exterior of your top and what kind of prep did you do?

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

3. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Never mind. I reread the other thread about painting top's and found your post's in there...

Thanks For The Tip,

89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Hey that looks great. I might just go from white to black on my otherwise solid white rig...

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

5. 87JIMMY

87JIMMY Registered Member

TODD The top looks great ! What would you think about using the stuff for underbody rustproofing. I'm patching the heck out of my floor and I want It too last. Any tips or other ideas would help

Scott 87JIMMY

6. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Thanks All,,, I guess it could be used anywhere,,, I am going to do the inside of mine after I too get it all welded up,, and also,, I'm going to run a strip down both sides from under the trim all the way down,,,, the wheel wells, and was going to do the engine bay when I swapped motors, but it's freshly painted,,, should have,, but didn't.

[​IMG]

7. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I used spray on bedliner for everything below the trim level and for the wheel wells....looks pretty nice.....only had 1 chip so far.....it's a little bit harder to get the truck REALLY clean though....dirt likes to stick in the bumpies of it...not a major complaint though since it's only clean like once a month....if i'm lucky. i like it a lot.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

8. mico85K5

mico85K5 Registered Member

Looks good!
    Last summer I bought my blazer, half primed. I primed the rest and decided (well, my wallet had to decide) that all I could do was spray paint it. The truck looked good for a couple of months, but now huge flakes come off (especially when I wash it).

topper- I sanded my top down, primed it black, and decided to try to get that color (violet, dark purple-whatever) on the new Durangos and Dakotas (the color that looks black, dark blue, or purple depending on the light). WELL, the color appeared to mix good on the lid of the can at the automotive specialty paint shop, but when all was done, I had/have the brightest sparkle purple topper on a K5. Oh well, I have to live with it for now (the paint was $30.00 a pint!)

Tell me some cheaper paint soloutions if anyone can!
    I just hate thinking about putting an expensive paint job on a truck that I drive through brush, trees, mud, water, etc!(:

Mico

Driving your blazer=FUN!

9. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

O.K. the black top looks good. The only question I have for you guys that have painted your tops is how well the paint is standing up? I wheel every weekend and sometimes the fallen trees catch at the windshield by the wipers and scratch all the way up and over the top. Would these applications you'r putting on your tops stand up to this? Or would it just scratch right off?

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

10. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Hey Mico85K5, I had a similar experience on a '73 I use to have. Was trying to paint the top that Autumwood color that's on the 90's model trucks and wound up with a "copper top"! When I bought the paint I questioned the guy at the counter about the color but was assured that it would be different once it was sprayed. Bulls#!%! At least they comped me several gallons of the right color when I went back and raised hell. I ended up selling the truck as is[​IMG] and I've still got all that paint! I'll do somethin' with it sooner or later....

89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

11. collegeK5er

collegeK5er Registered Member

hey gold rush. i'm not sure if it will hold up or not (it's not as thick as the herculiner) but the best part about the dupli color in comes in spray cans too. makes for a fast touch up. i've also found that a light coat of clear coat (also spray can) helps to lessen the scratches.

12. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

that looks great! You say it comes in colors? My top is black now but I want it to be white, guess I'll check around my local parts stores and see what I can find.

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

13. Ryan88Jimmy

Ryan88Jimmy Registered Member

Michigan Blazer, do you have any pics of how your truck looks? I was thinking of doing the same thing and was wondering what it would look like.

Ryan88Jimmy

14. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I have not seen the Dupli Color in anything but Black.. as far as the scratches,, I might just have to take a big branch and beat my blazer with it. [​IMG] I'll post results with pics when done beating.

[​IMG]

15. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I'll trade ya! Mine is white and I want a black top!

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

16. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Let me see if I have this markup thingh wired.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>