Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duplicolor lining

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, May 10, 2001.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am thinking aobout being cheap and covering my blazer with the walmart duplicolor lining. I dont care anymore..My blazer looks fugly and I want to slap on some bondo, even it out and cover it. I dont want a showroom finish. I have emailed the people at durabak and I am waiting to hear from them about prices I want to go gray or blue..but the duplicolor is so cheap. anyone have any experience with the duplicolor stuff at all?
    Brent

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I used it to line my toolbox drawers, and it's worked well. The only problem I found is that it needs ALOT of prep before it will stick. For doing your body, I'd go with durabak or Herculiner.

[​IMG]

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I would not use it on your k5's bod. I heard its Alot weaker compared to Line-x and herculiner . . .

- SlyDog [​IMG]

4. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Duplicolor sucks !!!!!!!!! I did my cab in it when it first came out, big mistake. I now have to redo the job before I even get to use it. I Just did my exterior with Herculiner, sticks really well. I've seen it on sale for $89.00 a gallon in black, $140.00 in color. It will take 2 gallons to cover your K5, but take my advice and spend the time to primer it all one color first, It will take less to cover. If you search herculiner in this forum there is a thread with links to my pics.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG]

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Elkboy...I am covering my blazer in liner because of how good your turned out. I will avoid being cheap and get good stuff thanks all
    Brent

6. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Haven't used the duplicolor lining, but the Herculiner stuff is pretty rugged. Just remember to wear gloves and long sleeves, anybody that's used it will tell you it's not fun getting it off your skin!!

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't do the outside with it. It works well on the inside when not exposed to the elements. I have it on my inside. I opted for it inside becuase it was not as grainy as herculiner. I have kids I babysit for bouncing in and out all the time and I didn't like the roughness if the were to rub on it. You do need to prep the surface a lot so it sticks. Get all the junk off of it....rough it up so it can grab onto something, then wipe it clean and coat. It spreads out well and covers a wide area. For $40 bucks it's worth it for the inside.

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That stuff is not even good paint. I used it to coat my tie rod because the undercoating was coming off and I wanted it to look all black again. I degreased and sanded the whole tierod for the best prep that I could do. The duplicolor "truck bed lining" (should be labeled "cheap textured paint") looked really nice when I got it done. Then in about 2 months time, I was spraying big chunks of it off with the hose whenever I would wash the truck- no joke. I was then able to remove almost all of the rest by hand as I prepped it for POR-15, which rocks. I did use the rattle can kind, I'm not sure if there's any difference between that and the stuff in the gallon can.

<font color=green>"Do not replace belt while engine is running" --Warning on a Kelly Srpingfield package</font color=green>

9. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

And dont goto the bathroom while your putting it on could be a mistake..

[​IMG] '89 350TBI

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Do it in blue Herculiner and send pics then I'm next!!![​IMG]

[​IMG]<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!