Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duplicolor or Herculiner truck bed coating

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Apr 1, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Has anybody used the Duplicolor truck bed coating. It is 39.95 for a gallon at Wally-World. I was just wondering how it will hold up compared to Herculiner. Thanks. BTW will a gallon do just the rear of a K5?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get herc, they have a $25 off mail-in deal going right now... find it on sale some place and you'll be set.

j

3. JSH

JSH Registered Member

I don't have first hand experience with Herculiner but was very disappointed in the Duplicolor. It is basically just thick paint.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Make your own:
    Buy some black (or whatever color you want) exterior paint, put into large pail, add 1/4 ammounts of flour per gallon. Stir and paint on /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

man i dont know about that flour in the paint thing, I was thinking more along the lines of silica granuls /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

how about ground up plastic.... it would have abrasion resistance...
    that being said... alot of research went into the bed coatings... using a proven one is prudent... making your own sand box mixture might be inexpensive... but it might just be really micky rat as well
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    cam

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It isn't worth the can it's contained in.

The Plasti-Kote stuff is 10x better than Dupli-Color and it still sucks compared to Herculiner.

As far as coverage, I wouldn't know. I've only used Plasti-Kote and Dupli-Color rattle cans.

8. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Duplicolor SUCKS!!!! I put it on my S10 bed...it was like hard plastic. It would even rub off onto your hand. My toolbox would slide across it easier than the stock paint job under it! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

~Jason

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have Herculiner in the bed of my truck. I am not impressed with the duribility at all. In three months the back of the bed rail where the front tire of my motorcycle rubs up against it was bare metal. It also fades quite a bit. Looks great when it is just done though. Next time, I am going to just bite the bullet and have Line-X or Rinoliner sprayed in and be done with it. Good luck.

10. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

I will second (or 3rd and 4th) that Dupli-color Sucks. My boss had me paint is flatbed trailer with it and it will scratch right off the brand new fenders even after ruffing them up with a wire brush and cleaning them with a tack cloth. Told him he should of POR-15 the dang thing , hehe

11. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I have duplicolor and it hasnt been that bad

12. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

I'd say the Line-X is about the best there is-I know a lot of people who've gone with Rhino and have been very disappointed with large sections bubbling off, then having difficulty with warranty repairs on them. Only know of one guy with a Line-X repair, that was fixed no questions asked, and not a problem since-turned out he had some rust issues under the paint in that location too, so it really wasn't the liners problem.

As for Herculiner, I did my entire trailer in it, which I pull mostly up gravel roads and such. I did two coats on the thing-concerned about the gravel chipping it off, and couldn't be happier with it's performance. I don't know how many thousand miles are on it now, and I've replaced the tires on the trailer-the Herculiner is still in great shape. Only spot missing is where I had to grind it off to weld the tailgate tab back on.

I think with any of the above suggestions for bedliners, the actual preparation of the area to be coated is what is most important. Follow the directions exactly as they state for initial prep work, I think you'll find the final job will come out a lot better, and last a lot longer.

Best of Luck,

Mike

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have herculiner in my s10 and dont like the durability. it peels up easy and pulls the paint with it and sometimes the primer also. that is with the roller cover that comes in the kit.

one of my friends used it and used a regular paint roller cover and it turned out nice and lasted quite a while.

14. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am pretty sure I am going to go with Herculiner. I may use the Duplicolor on the rockers or inner fenders or areas that will need to be touched up once in awhile. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Has anybody used the Duplicolor truck bed coating. It is 39.95 for a gallon at Wally-World. I was just wondering how it will hold up compared to Herculiner. Thanks. BTW will a gallon do just the rear of a K5?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used Dupli-Color to line the tub in my Jimmy. I ended up needing 2 gallons and it is horrible. The stock 30 yr old paint held up much better than this crap. It literally chips off with your fingernail. Dont use Dupli-Color!

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't use Dupli-Color. Plasti-Kote costs the same as Dupli-Color ($6.99) at Wal-mart. Dupli-Color is worse than using regular paint. I did the same preparation for both Plasti-Kote and Dupli-Color and the Dupli-Color has neither held up nor stuck to anything. The Plasti-Kote has fall off in some spots but that's because of pre-existing rust (inner wheelwells).

17. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Duplicolor user here. Yeah, it sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I spent a lot of time prepping the tub with professional grade de-waxer / cleaner and sand paper but still the stuff will come off with a fingernail. But it is easy to patch with a spray can of the stuff. Still couldn't justify the $$$ for a Rhino though.

18. BIGBAMA74K5

BIGBAMA74K5 Newbie

I used Duplicolor on the interior and exterior of my 74 K5 three years ago and I have never had a problem with it. The only time that it ever scraped off is when I was backing the K5 out of my garage and did not pay attention to the sides (garage was too small anyway). Other than that I have never had a problem. I think that a lot has to do with the prep work. Just my experience.

Rush

19. vegas76k5

vegas76k5 Registered Member

Rush, how did you apply the Duplicolor? I have 4 gallons of Duplicolor and all the stuff to prep the truck collecting dust. I was planning on using a compressor to spray it on. Only reason I haven't done it is the amount of time to prep it propperly. After seeing this topic, I don't know if I want to waste my time.

20. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I built my new bed I applied Duplicolor bedliner to the inside. I had brand new bare metal, prepped it per the directions and applied the duplicolor with a spray gun. It looked really good for the first day. Day 2 it started fading and it's all different colors now, even some white spots... After about a month, rust is coming through the duplicolor from the metal below. Now I have parts flaking off and you touch it wrong and it comes off. I'll never use the stuff again, I'm going to try and pressure wash most of it off then sand blast the rest and do it over in herculiner, used that in the past and loved it.