Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

duplicolor roll on bed liner and paint? one try it

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Apr 13, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I know I posted a little while back about x-liner and paint, but what about the duplicolor brand bedliner. I can get a gallon for $39.99 and the roller kit for another $9.99 at walmart. Thinking of lining the bottom 8-10" of the bottom of the truck and painting to match.
    Question is: Duplicolor liner and paint, will it stick and stay? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I have heard that stuff sucks. Supossedly it is like thick paint.

Trey

3. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I lined the bottom of my fishing boat with it. It's not leaking anymore.I've got a couple of cans that are going to go in my truck after I get the rest of the rust sanded down. I painted over the stuff in the boat with the ultraflat camo paint. It's holding up well.

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I love it... its chipped a little bit, but thats with haulin random stuff, and people crawlin back there and whatnot. I have about 3 coats of it.
    [​IMG]
    LoL i think ive posted this picture like 500 times.
    Ive also painted my rocker panels, none has fell off yet. It looks nice too.

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Do a search for duplicolor because there's a few posts floating around talking about it. I've used it, been pleased.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

2 things, PREP, and THICK, if you dont skimp on either of those steps then it will work nice, and if it ever chips, just touch it up every now and then, i used 2 cans on my truck, and i did everything from the bed rails down, and everything from the tailgate forward, up under the dash and what not, if i was to do it again i wouldve used 3 cans all together so as to get more thickness to it,

Also it would be best if you just did the whole truck all at once, cuz when that crap dries on the roller, it kinda makes it look shitty.

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yes prep like a mo-fo. Thick isnt too neccesary. but you got to get it CLEAN. i ended up wire burshing alot of the area or sanding. as well as using paint thinner, brake cleaner, carb cleaner,and anything i could use to clean the area up. and its been nice and sticky.

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Cool deal. thanks for the replies!

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I have Dupli-color on the inside of the cab of my K10. You need to do some prep work, but it hasnt caused me any problems. I also had it on the exterior of my old K5 and it is really tough stuff. Prep work is the key!

10. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

I'd opt for a 2-part DIY liner paint. Far more durable than the 1-part systems. I've used Herculiner (still have some in the shed) & wasn't impressed & it's far more expensive than the Duplicolor (if that means anything). Rustoleum makes a 2-part system that supposedly will allow double-coating an 8' truck bed. About the same price as the Duplicolor. The sportsmansguide.com currently is selling it for $29.97.

Good luck.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I was asking about anyone who had used that a while back. Here is the post. Not one reply... You have any experience with it?

12. Suburbanite

Sorry ... but no actual experience with Rustoleum (or any other 2-part liner system).

At the time I was shopping for a DIY bedliner kit the cheapest 2-part system I could find was about $140 thru one of my brothers who works at a restoration/custom shop.

Settled, unfortunately, on the Herculiner. Bought 2 kits on sale at Kmart for about $80 apiece. Did my (now my other brother's) '95 K3500 CC LB SRW & it hasn't held up very well in use. Tailgate's the worst. My brother often carries irrigation equipment in the bed -- nothing too heavy, just what one person can normally lift -- & it definitely hasn't held up too well under that type of use.

My thinking is that the 2-part systems would be more durable for the same reason 2-part paints are, generally, more durable. It's what I'll be using on the next vehicle I plan on keeping for a long while. I plan to even use it on the interior -- stripping everything out -- & painting the floors, sides & ceiling with it.

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It should definately be more chemically resistant at the least. I wonder about UV though, my truggy and the boy's K5 will be under direct and harsh sun most of the year. Shouldn't be any worse that the Herc or Dup I guess... I think I may just order it and find out, it's cheap enough...

14. Suburbanite

Forgot to mention that the Herculiner has only been on for a little over a year.

As for the Rustoleum, it's cheap enuf, but if you're not in any hurry, I'd 1st make some sort of test panel. Ideally it'd be shaped like a truck bed, with the lower/raised sections, to best simulate the actual surface. Then beat the hell out of it!

Can't speak to UV resistance. Rustoleum website is no help! I'd assume (yeah ... I know!) it was UV resistant considering its intended purpose. But ... who knows? Can't be any worse than some of the commercially applied liners which require 'renewing' ever so often with an 'Armorall' equivalent.