Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Durabak for exterior paint?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84mudmachine, Feb 24, 2004.

1. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

Just want to see if any of you have used Durabak on the body of any of your trucks. Let me know what you think and if you sprayed or rolled it on. Post some pics of the final results if you have them. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine herculined his whole body. He wishes he hadn't because it is a pain in the arse to clean the mud off it after wheeling. It also dosent look as cool as you may think. Also now he wants to take it off and just paint it with some flat mil spec paint. He is going to have a fun time trying to get all of the crap off his truck!
    In my opinion, paint on liners are good for the interior and bad for the exterior. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

Any other people out their with opinions on this? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

THIS IS MY OPINION:

don't do it. I durabakd my blazer in battleship gray about 4 years ago. It was cool for a while. Its pretty tough but it stays dirty as a mofo. It was also nice to not have to worry about getting the blazer "keyed" at the mall and such. But people are f'n stupid, and I answered a few idiots when they asked if it was coated in stucco. So, I painted it black (actually spray painted it and durabak takes spray paint really well).
    Then I got lockers and went one-ton. I started to get more body damage but Durabak aint cheapo. So i found herculiner and the two are also quite compatible so I repaired easily. But lockers cause you to go to places that maybe your driving skills can't handle and more and more rock rash and dings occured.
    Long story short:
    I ended up grinding, razorblading, and peeling off virtually all the durabak on my blazer. I'm much happier now. My advice spend the money on spraypaint or powdercoating. It'll last longer and be easier to repair, and will NEVER look like stucco...
    oh and if you're ever shirtless or walking by a durabakd rig it scratches you like a stucco'd house would.
    /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've had Duraback on the 85's exterior for 4 years. It's two tone, dark blue over white. (topper and hood white also.) It does pick up dirt, but washes easily. I live in northern New York. 15 miles from Canada type of north. Our trucks are salted heavily 4 to 6 months a year. If I get a rust spot, just grind off the liner, por15, stainless tape, more por15 and recoat. It's not super cheap, but looks and lasts good. In our area it's unusual to see a truck as old as mine that does not have the body completely rusted away. I've actually had a lot of positive comments on the appearance. When asked about the finish, my stock answer is, " This is what happens when you open the paint and the beer at the same time." Best of luck.
    John

6. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

have you seen the color fade any on the durabak?
    thanks

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Mine is durabak'd on the exterior. Mostly I like it very much, it's pretty indestructable. I clean it with a scrub brush and mild soap.

I've had it on there for almost 2 years, and it has oxidized a bit. I mixed my own color (a dark blue) and it was turning a lighter shade. So I scrubbed the oxidation off (took three times) and now it's back to the original. I'm in Los Angeles and it sits in the sun most of the summer.

For me the durabak was a good choice. I didn't want to spend money on a paint job only to have it scratched up all the time. I think your decision would depend on use. If I was going to wheel it hard and wanted to repair the body after bashing, I'd rattle can it.

If not, I like durabak.

8. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

thanks for your reply. did you spray it on, and do you have any pics.
    thanks.

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Rolled it on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

I've got black durabak on my jeep Wagoneer from the door handles down. Small areas have peeled and I touch those up with black paint. When wheeling through thick underbrush and I hear the larger sticks scraping down the sides, I just smile.

11. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I rolled Durabak onto the rocker panels about 6 months ago and its holding up great. I did the grill about a year ago and it is fading. I like it a lot, and am planning on doing the rest of the truck in a different color.