Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Durability of the thick style factory D60 cover?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> How durable is this thing? It's pretty thick but I don't think that I would trust it to bash around in the rocks. After watching some of the NCBD members grind their diff covers at Frank Raines over the weekend I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need some protection, I'm just curious how tough this cover is to start with.</font color>

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It's pretty rugged. I popped mine pretty hard a few time before it gave way. I was moving slow through a rock field, got a little off to the side trying to keep my tire on a rock. Tire slid off and the diff cover stopped my truck but caved in about 3/8", almost to the ring gear. Took it home, heated it, beat it back out where it belonged, and added a 1/4" x 3" strap bent and welded over the ring gear ridge... No more worries...

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, I was thinking about doing the strap thing on this one rather than dumping money into a rock ring or something like that. Seems like a good way to go if the cover is fairly durable to start with. I wish that the case was the same with the 14 bolt cover, that thing is paper thin. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif</font color>

4. BadDog

I did a similar thing for the C14 (though I've not damaged it yet). 2" x 1/4" strap over the ring gear, then a horizontal cross just below the center line for support, with additional plating and 1/4 strap re-enforcing the lower lip. Peel back is the only problem I have had in the rear so that should be ok I think. Of course it helps if you never have to back up… /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Total cost was about $10 in steel (mostly scrap), wire, gas, and electricity, much less than the rock rings and such, though I do wish I had those MOO covers.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You have any pics of what you did? Sounds like a good way to go but I figured that I would have to form the metal into concave shapes to make the pieces fit right. If I can just heat 1/4" steel straps and beat them into shape then I'll give it a shot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    After watching some of the NCBD members grind their diff covers at Frank Raines over the weekend I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need some protection,

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. BadDog

Didn't take any pics, and it's painted flat black now so it may be hard to see. I'll try to remember to take some pics tomorrow. BTW, I bent the straps on my tubing bender. Turns out the 1.75 x 5.5 die is almost a perfect arc to match the ring ridge. The 3” wide strap fit across the tube valley so that it would not gouge in the important areas. The first piece I made for the front (3”wide) was too short by about 0.5” so I used it as a bending surface for the narrower rear straps which could have damaged the die. I also didn't fully plate the rear cover. Like I said, I haven't had any trouble with damage back there so I didn't take much time with it. But, with the straps welded on, it would take a sharp rock to punch between the straps to do any damage. I'm figuring it will be much more likely to take a blunt hit which should span straps. My main goal was to reinforce the arch over the ring, and *MOSTLY* to stop the lip from peeling. At the same time I also shaved as much as I could (without leaking or building custom covers) off both diffs.

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Go MOO, can't be beat. I beat the crap out of mine, and don't think twice about it. "front diff", someone yells out, I usually shrug and step on the gas /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I'm more worried about driveshafts these days /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I went to the Indy Jambo last year and spotted Steve Frisbie in the Rock Crawling competition. During some of the off time, I watched a K30 go through the course (in a hurry) with the 454 hammered. He bounced into a large rock and mashed the thick (stock) cover on the 60. The dent looked deep enough to get into the ring gear. He pulled up beside us and we pointed it out. He asked Steve for a business card. What a way to sell a product.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Go MOO, can't be beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> The MOO covers are real nice, no doubt about it. As soon as my money tree starts producing then I'll make sure to go pick a set up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm not saying that they aren't worth it, just saying that I'd like to find a more cost effective route first. </font color>

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The original cover on my 60 was in pretty bad shape when I got it when the previous owner had trashed a pinion bearing and spit teeth out of it. My plan is to buy a new or good used heavy cover, and then take the original one and cut out sections in order to plate the new one. I haven't verified it, but I think it will work nicely since the the cut out parts should already be preformed.