Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duracool replaces R 12 freon ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2 man, Jun 28, 2002.

1. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am getting ready to do some work on my air conditioner.Getting really hot here !!! I plan on replacing my hoses . One leaks I was debating which way to go ? Pay the big bucks for R12 , convert or I saw something about duracool. Has anyone used duracool and how does it work compared to R12 and was it an easy swap for R12 ? Thanks

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I was talking to my budy who is ASE certified including on A/C. What's nice about that stuf is you can put it in an existing system. It doesn't have issues with the lubricating oil that the R12 used like the 134 does. If you don't get the system absolutly clean of the lubricant it can react with the 134 and fry the O-rings. has about the same cooling properties as R134. Now where R12 can pull low 30's in temp the 134 and duracool is only good for mid 40's it you do a proper conversion. Mid 40's sounds good till your trying to cool as much space as a K5 has. It gets a little taxed. New vehicles have larger evaporators and condensors so they can overcome the short falls of 134. but that would be very difficut to retrofit. At $40 a can for R12 it's pretty pricy. THe Duracool and 134 is about $6 a can and I think a K5 needs about 4- 5 cans so MAJOR savings.

3. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm interested in finding more information about this duracool. I drained my A/C when I put a new timing set on it and now it gets really hot and the price of R12 doesn't really seem cost effective to me and the hassles of converting to 134 doesn't sound like much fun either, so if someone can tell me where I can find duracool or at least some information on it I would appriciate it.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Last week I bought one of those kits at Wal-mart for $30 that converts R12 to R134A. There isn't anything special about it. It comes with an oil that's supposed to stop the R134A from eating R12 o-rings. So far it works. R134A surely doesn't cool the cabin like R12 does.

I don't mean to hijack a post, but how much refrigerant is the system supposed to hold? On the side of the evaporator box it says both 3.00lbs and 5.25lbs. I stuck 3lbs in but it doesn't cool the cab enough. I don't have any guages and I don't want to overfill it since it said in the "kit" that I was only supposed to stick 85% of that 3.00lbs anywa (roughly 2.5lbs).

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I saw some stuff called REDTEK 12A. It's supposed to be as good as r12 but is environmentally friendly. It will work in either system. When mine ever gives out I may try it. I got my last charge in Mexico over 2 yrs ago and it's pretty cold! Even in Tucson /forums/images/icons/cool.gif