Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duralast tools

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Nov 27, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

As y'all know, I work at Autozone. I'm not realy the first to plug their products, but they just got these new professional tools in and they look really good! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Unconditional lifetime warranty. Since Duralast tools are only sold at Autozone, no receipt required. "If any Duralast tool ever fails to give complete satisfaction, it will be replaced free of charge."

We just got them in guys...they're just as nice as the tools you'd see a mechanic using and stuff. I'm seriously considering buying a good size socket set of theirs cause it's $100 and has just about everything.

They're definitely /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and not that expensive either. Check 'em out.

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I really hope there better than there regular tools. They always brake on me. I brock a great neck vice grips yeaster day taking a stripped bleeder vavle of my front calipers. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Let us know how they stand up and post up a review for us ok. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ill have to check them out..thanks for the heads up, do they sell just standard or are they mixed sets??

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Things like sockets and wrenches are more cost effective to get at Harbor Freight.

I got some Pittsburg Professional series wrenches, both SAE and Metric for $19 each. I have been using them for over a year and have had nothing but the best of times with them.

They look and feel great, just like the snap-on professional series, but at a fraction of the cost. They too have a unconditional guarantee.

Now when it comes to tools with moving parts, such as ratchets or vice grips, I would not buy them from Harbor freight unless I was just broke and needed something. For that, I trust Craftsman, and have had nothing but good luck with.

$100 for a set of sockets sounds like "Snap-on", "Mac", "Matco" prices to me. Nice tools yes, but way too much friggin money.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They sell mixed sets too.

Guys, they're NOTHING like the cheap Great Neck brand tools they sold in the past. Those are TRASH. These are PROFESSIONAL quality tools designed to compete with Snap On and Craftsman according to the email I got...and when I saw them, I definitely agreed! The wrenches look NICE!!!!

If/when they come out with a 6 point wrench set, I'm going to pick that up, along with the $99 mixed SAE/Metric and deep well SAE/Metric socket set they've got that comes in a nifty box. I want all my tools to be able to go with me when I go wheelin' so the fact that they come in a nifty box is great!!

6. Confedneck

when you find a set of snap on sockets for 100 bucks, let me know. btw, pitsburgh sockets suck, i bought some of their cheap impacts and used them with a hand ratchet and broke them...i would buy stanley before pittsburgh because stanley is owned by the same company that makes mac...

7. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

How does the warranty work? I know that with their other tools if you broke one you have to send them to the manufacturer then wait for them to send you a replacement. Can you walk into Auto Zone and exchange a broken tool for a new one with the Duralast?

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've always gone with "Craftsman" from Sears.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    How does the warranty work? I know that with their other tools if you broke one you have to send them to the manufacturer then wait for them to send you a replacement. Can you walk into Auto Zone and exchange a broken tool for a new one with the Duralast?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. This is a no questions asked warranty. You drop a broken tool on the counter, go get a new on off the shelf and hit the road. None of this bullshi* like Sears where they mail you a half ass refurbished ratchet.

I used to buy Craftsman ratchets until I broke three 1/2" drive ratchets in one day. I took all three back to get replaced and they said they'd mail them to me. I told them that they had them on the shelf and I had a job to finish. They refused to replace the tool. I would still consider buying their tools because they are high quality, but if AZ is gonna offer a full, unconditional lifetime warranty on their Duralast tools and they're just as good of quality as Craftsman, I'm gonna definitely buy my tools there.

Like I said, 100% customer satisfaction is the goal. NOBODY that brings in a broken Duralast tool will be denied speedy replacement (immediately) if it's in stock at the store. You break it, they give you a new one, PERIOD, right there, on the spot, no questions asked. It is a no hassle, unconditional warranty no matter how the tool is broken.

10. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

84_K10_Chevy,
    I could not believe how nice these tools were when we got them into our store, nice quality and lifetime warranty too. Hell, they are even color-coded, blue for metric and red for SAE, makes it easy to find them when looking for that one socket only to find it is the opposite of what you need. I am hoping our manager is going to hold true to his word of giving us some Duralast tools for Christmas /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. These tools are supposed to comparable in quality to Snap-on,Craftsman and MAC tools, just at a cheaper price with the same unconditional lifetime warranty. You break it, take it back to an Autozone and you walk out with a new tool, NO QUESTIONS ASKED and no receipt. The Greatneck tools carrry a limited lifetime warranty, but Autozone is going to start requiring a receipt for all returns on them, where the Duralasts are no reciept.

Krennen

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The Great Neck tools are trash anyway. I agree with you, they're very nice for the money. I'm going to consider buying a set soon. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    when you find a set of snap on sockets for 100 bucks, let me know. btw, pitsburgh sockets suck, i bought some of their cheap impacts and used them with a hand ratchet and broke them...i would buy stanley before pittsburgh because stanley is owned by the same company that makes mac...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure no problem, here you go!!

Snap on, less than $100 set of sockets

I never said snap-on was cheap, and that those duralast tools cost the same, I said they were at snapon, matco, mac prices it seemed by his quote of 100 bucks.

I agree they aren't the best tools, but for the money, I have no complaints.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

11 sockets for $100? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

LOOK AT THIS!!!!

It's not $100 for a few sockets. It's $100 for a set of sockets, with ratchets, a case, deep wells, etc. Not just a couple sockets. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Confedneck

well ill be, although i meant like a socket set like you can buy at sears with lots of sizes standard and metric, that is a good deal and i understand your point fully...i wasnt trying to be an ass...anyways i need to check these duralast tools out this weekend..

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Definitely check them out. I'm gonna wait hoping they come out with a bigger set that is a better value. I want more than just 3/8 drive stuff. I'd prefer a whole set with 1/2" and 1/4" drives as well. There will eventually be a whole line, but they just came out so there aren't that many sets available yet. I certainly hope this becomes a hot selling item though, as they will continue to expand the line. They are really nice, you will be amazed.

16. Confedneck

i just saw the comercial for them actually, i like ratchet wrenches and i think i might have to buy theirs if they arent too much moola

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i just saw the comercial for them actually, i like ratchet wrenches and i think i might have to buy theirs if they arent too much moola

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard about the TV commercials, but I haven't seen any as I don't watch TV. I actually have never seen an Autozone TV commercial at all that I can remember. Either way, check em out.

The AZ website has the tools that are available now listed, including those ratchet wrenches. I've never cared for those wrenches though myself.

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I can't see any good reason to spend $100 on that when Sears has this on sale right now for $150:
    248-Piece Mechanics Tool Set /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I can live without the blow molded plastic case that will be warped a year from now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just keep my sockets on socket-keepers so it's easy to find the right one and also easy to see when one is missing. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif You're getting a LOT more tools in the Sears kit, including those 1/2-inch and 1/4-inch sets that you're looking for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I could ask you nicely to shorten that link it'd be greatly appreciated.

I agree it's probably a better value, but there are more AZ stores close by for replacement, and they don't hassle you at AZ. I'm going to look into it, but after my whole warranty issue with some ratchets I was really pissed off.

That tool set being 1/2 off sure is tempting though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'll hide the real URL from the displayed text. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Sears uses some pretty stupid URL's on their web site.

Sears stopped giving away brand new ratchets several years ago. Instead, they replace the ratchet mechanism in returned ratchets and replace broken ones with those. 99% of the time that's all that is wrong with them. But you do have to watch out for the "cashier" helping you, that may not understand the difference between the standard ratchet and the more expensive fine-tooth ratchet or you could end up with the cheaper version. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'd dare say that Sears is much easier to find in all 50 states than Autozone is. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif