Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*((&^%()^ DURAMAX AND ALLISON

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by MudNurI, Oct 24, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

UUGGHHH this _(*&^*(&*&&^ /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

I wish it wasn't so freakin computerized...

tonight I'm shopping with the girls, come outta burger king, put /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif in park, indicator light stays in R... /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif in D..weird,,go back to P- light stays in R...shut her down......start her up...same damn thing...then the light goes out...gets me worried...call the ol man on the cell- "Message MAN 20 the cellular customer you are calling....." damn it,,, leave her in D (I think?) head home- 1 1/2 mile down the road- hmm the light comes back on in D...weirder...get home, put truck in R to back in driveway- light moves to R...okay...pull back out to double check- sure nuff. light stays in R...WTF..... drive round the block numerous times- FINALLY goes back in D....back back into the driveway- @#$@#%$ light out again... come inside, tell him what happened- hmm never happened to him..great, he thinks I'm sabotaging his /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif....come down here, hop on TDP...sure nuff- NSBU switch going out (neutral safety back up) WTF I wasn't in NEUTRAL...... After reading, seems allison redesigned it, chances are my stealer still has the old one...not bad- /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif almost a year old, and already had more than its share of Allison computer problems...

sorry had to rant.

Brandy

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I've said it once and I'll say it again. COMPUTERS IN CARS are a NO GO!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll stick with my TH400 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

basically what this means, is once this switch is gone- which will be soon by the sounds- I will have 3rd gear, and MAYBE reverse.....all from a d*mn computer...if my dealer has one in stock, its an easy fix, it not,,my trucks down till they get one in...

just plain sux!

Brandy

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I sure hope you bought the extended warranty........ /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    COMPUTERS IN CARS are a NO GO!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, except for that computer-controlled engines typically last longer, make more power, require LESS maintenance, get better mileage, start easier and automatically correct for altitude.

7. Can Can

You forgot the most important part:

They cost a bundle to buy. They cost a bundle to fix when they break.

I'll keep my short-lived, gutless, high-maintenance, inefficient, hard starting motor. In the long run I'll be ahead of the game. What good is a motor that lasts 300K when sensors start to break at around 100K and aren't covered by warranty. I also like being able to fix things myself and not have to rely on a dealer.

Let's play a little game:

I just spent a few minutes and figured out how much my K5 has cost me per month(for purchase/repairs) since I've owned it. How does $174 grab ya'?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Try doing the same monthly cost with a new truck. See if you can touch $174 a month. Crap, you'd have to drive the thing for 25 years with no repairs to come close.

So go ahead and pretend that new computer controlled engines are better.

8. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

If cost was your biggest concern, you would be driving a smaller, cheaper, more efficient vehicle and not own a K5. The "it's cheaper" argument is easy to make, but look at how your truck compares to a new one as far as comfort, POWER, ride, POWER, fuel mileage and POWER goes.

Just curious, did you buy your truck new?

BTW, most of the reason I have a 6.2 is because it's non-electronic. After nuclear armageddon I'll be cruising in style!

9. Can Can

Actually, OVERALL cost is VERY important to me. So is the safety of my family. I would never let my family drive around in an econo-box. Up until this summer I towed a travel trailer for 5 months of the year. I also NEED a 4x4 for the 6 months of winter around these parts..... The way I see it, a K5 is the perfect family vehicle for me.

The "it's cheaper" is the only argument that matters. My truck is in tip-top shape and gets WAY more looks than a 2002. I don't give a rat's ass about ride or comfort(neither does my wife)- I mean, it's a TRUCK, for god's sake!! Power? Just how much do I need? I can't use all I've got!!!!! And mileage- I get 19 MPG on the highway.

All that for $174 a month. That's less than the monthly insurance on a new truck. All the money I've saved not having a truck payment has allowed me to:

1. Save a substantial amount for my kid's college fund(my eldest is only 5)

2. Contribute and even MORE substantial amount to my retirement fund

3. Buy a house

4. Buy a recreational property

5. Make sure that my wife and kids are WELL taken care of.

BTW, I've owned my 84 for 9 1/2 years. If things go as planned I'll own ot for at least 9 1/2 more...... I have the best of both worlds- I drive something I love and it costs me next to nothing.

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I have the best of both worlds- I have my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and I have my /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif .. now both are totally different.

the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif I paid $2800.00 for- put in probably- $500.00, sweat equity, at $75 per hour- well, about 100 hours.

the /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif 5995.00 so far in payments. other "fees" total about $2000, (1175 of that is for 5 oil changes)...

Could sell my /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif for more than I owe, could sell my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif for less than it's worth...never be able to buy another one in it's condition for the same $$..especially the new GM Metal.

I am a creature of comfort, I don't like driving /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif for extended periods of time, 45 minutes at a wack is about all I can handle. The lack of lumbar, 55 way power seats, tilt wheel, etc.. is too much to handle.

Had I never had a $50K truck, with the bells and whistles I probably wouldn't know what I was missing, but since I do, well...

My portfolio is VERY well rounded, my kids can attend any college they chose, John can retire at 45, my house will be paid off before my kids graduate high school, I don't "want" for anything, all this AND a truck payment....maybe its because we don't spend money on a whim...we try to buy what we need...in case of the truck, the old (99 Z-71) had only 3 doors, and was a PIA with 2 kids in carseats, the D/A has 4 real doors...

As soon as things settle down a bit with the family businesses, we will have 2 truck payments, his /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif and my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif .....

It's all in what you want, nothing wrong with people that don't want a car payment- nothing wrong with those that do. My grandparents always own 2-3 year old cars, and they do so by saving $$ first, then paying cash...trading it in with under 80K miles, and usually come out ahead of what they would have made if they had kept the money in stocks, or a bank..especially lately.

oh - by the way my /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif averages 21.5 mpg- my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is about 6 mpg..

Brandy

11. Can Can

My last reply wasn't directed at you. And I still hope you bought an extended warranty.

Could sell my (truck) for more than I owe

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but not more than what you bought it for. And besides, you folks are obviously loaded. I'm just a working guy. I could never in my wildest dreams imagine spending $50,000 on a truck. Christ, my rec property only cost 20K more than your truck........

12. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Canmore- we're not loaded...John is part of a family business. The truck along with most of our toys are "business expenses"....

I did not buy an extended warranty- found out today that the newly redesigned part is over 100 bucks...old one was 24 bucks...

I even get to pay the tow bill to the dealership- it's dead in the driveway....

Brandy

13. Can Can

How many miles are on that truck? I thought you just bought it.....If I paid $50k+ for a truck I would expect it come with a 10 year warranty!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

"Newly redesigned" sounds like a good way for GM to rape the consumer even worse /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif What are they charging you to put the part in? Maybe you could do it yourself........

14. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

My Dodge/Cummins doesn't do that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

15. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

truck will be 1 year old on October 30th- has just over 42K on it ....

3/36 on everything but the engine- Duramax comes with a 5/50 - but after 3/36 there is a deductible..

Like I said, I've never worried about warranties...normally we are out of warranty due to mileage within 9-10 months...

Brandy

16. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I can hear my back seat passanger's while doing 80 on the highway- /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Your Cummins CANT do that!

Brandy

17. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

He can drive his Cummins still, your Duramax cant do that.

18. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Keep this up, you're killing us

19. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

SURE I can- backwards....

I shouldn't even be typing this but tomorrow it is being towed to the dealership with my brother in laws cummins! I will NEVER live this down with him...though I"m REALLY glad he got rid of his PSD!

Brandy

20. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I can hear my back seat passanger's while doing 80 on the highway-

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually my Cummins, after it gets to operating temp, is quiet inside. I pull a 30 foot long fifth wheel camper and then put my 19 foot boat behind that and it is like there is nothing back there, and that weighs almost 17,000 lbs and it is still quiet. I can hear the Turbo whistle a little but I drove a Semi over the road for about 15 years so I am used to that..
    It does however sound like when I am ready to trade my Dodge in a couple of years the Cummins won't be an option anymore. By that time maybe they will have proven the Duramax, who knows.

John