Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

duramax in a k5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87 Blue Beast, Apr 14, 2007.

1. 87 Blue Beast

87 Blue Beast 1/2 ton status

has anyone ever seen or sucessfully finished a duramax swap in any k series truck? i was planning on building a small block for my rig, but i want a diesel soo bad..

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've looked into it for my K30. The main problem is the Allison, not neccessarely the Dmax. There has not been a passenger drop Tcase put behind the 1000 series Allison. This may or may not be a problem, as I never really got into spline count, shaft diameter, and shaft length and what various transfer cases could work with said output shaft.

I was provided a link by someone here of a crew cab pull truck with a Dmax in it, but he cheated.... he used an NV4500 behind and got out easy.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the project unless I could have the Allison with the Dmax, otherwise I'd just use a better 5.9L Cummins, if I had to use a standard trans.

You need a 4" lift to clear the oil pan with a Cummins on a 4wd, I never did find out if this was similar or not with the Dmax. However, I am pretty sure that the Dmax is not as tall as the Cummins, so a guy might be able get away with no lift ( my application was/is a K30 crew cab service truck and a lift isn't practical).

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Extreme 4x4 put that Dmax allison combo in a Kseries suburban frame. They also used a custom adapter from ORD to use the ORD double behind it and it was also passenger drop.

Making it fit is really not an issue other than maybe the length of the whole thing. There is plenty of room in the engine compartment.

I could see possible needing a body lift to clear the tranny not sure how "tall" the allison is.

Ira

4. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

wonder if it could fit in a 2wd:thinking:

5. 87 Blue Beast

im seriously thinking about doin this.. so if anyone comes across any info on it, please post :D

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Just put in a 502 and the money you save can go in the gas tank..........

7. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Go to looking on the Grand National or GNX forums; There's a guy on one of those that put one and a 4L85E in a cutlass in order to get around Cali emissions.
    Jimbo

8. rjfguitar

Yeah, but he'd have half the power with a 502 compared to a Dmax, and suck twice as much fuel.:p:

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sorry there bud but your just plain wrong.
    A ZZ502 is listed at 502 hp and 567 ft.lbs.
    http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Parts/showcase_detail.jsp?engine=3
    A Duramax is listed at 365 hp and 660 ft. lbs.
    So how do you figure that a 502 has half the power? Please explain Bobby........

10. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

yea half the power? lol

11. 87 Blue Beast

i know i could make a gas engine more powerful for the money, but i want a diesel. i just cant afford to buy one.. so i figured since the body of my blazer is so nice, why not swap it and make it unique? what about the diesels that came in k5's? were they really poopy? is there an aftermarket for them to make them compete with the dmax?

12. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

The 6.2 in mine seems fine, it depends on what you plan on doing.

13. FightinTXag

FightinTXag 1/2 ton status

Said DMax/NV4500 pull truck is for sale on ebay. Looks pretty nice. He used the instrument cluster out of the donor truck and even maintained functional a/c.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Silverado-3500-dmax-engine-1987-Chevy-1-ton-with-2001-Duramax-Diesel_W0QQitemZ330115053923QQihZ014QQcategoryZ90970QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

14. mstockton

mstockton Registered Member

I don't know about the truck, but the way he integrated those autometers into the dash is purty friggin' sweet, I think I'll have to do that for my autometers...

Damn hold up lemme get the pic

173e_0.JPG

15. mstockton

173e_12.JPG

There we go, should be bigger

173e_12.JPG

16. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have seen an allison trans out of a truck and its HUGE. I have been told by GM reps that the trans size is the reason the dmax is not offered in the suburbans.

17. FightinTXag

It's got another week to go, but that thing is a steal right now at $6500. He's probably got 3x that invested.

Looks like custom traction bars and some kind of driveshaft protection:
    [​IMG]

New body work, all rusty panels replaced, new paint:
    [​IMG]

18. FightinTXag

This is true. It's also the reason that the 8.1L is detuned and coupled with the 4L85E instead of the Allison in Suburban applications.

19. mstockton

There is no easy answer on the 6.2's....if you want to learn about them, you've got some research to do, lots of little eccentricities. I'm stoked with mine for a blazer, but for a pickup or tow vehicle, probably not worth it. However, if you want something to propel your K5, I think they are terrific, even if they have small things that annoy the crap out of me. Add a turbo kit and you'll be putting out the same horsepower as a 7.3 superduty and only 90 ft lbs of TQ less. They are the cheapest available diesels to build, and they were made to go into these trucks, so fitment is obviously not an issue. If your looking for "cool", they aren't it however. The 6.2's will never compete with a DMAX (or any modern diesel truck engine), they aren't designed for it. They are designed to put out the same power as a SBC of the day, but get 20+ MPG.

20. rjfguitar

Ever heard of an interesting little invention called "EFI LIVE?" You are simply comparing factory crate engine numbers to factory Dmax numbers. How do you think there are 7K Dmax trucks out there running 11's in the 1/4 mile???? They don't exactly do that from the factory......

It's so easy to make 500+ HP out of an LB7 Dmax it's not even funny, along with it's 1000ft lbs of torque that comes with that 500 diesel horsepower.....granted.....I am bieng cautious and being conservative on the Dmax numbers....:whistle: