Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duramax Info?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by swamp donkey, Jun 7, 2002.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

Apr 29, 2002
    I have a buddy who really wants a new 2500HD Durmax. He was thinking he could find one used, already lifted and ready to go. Anyone know any good place to look?
    If you buys one, what she know?
    Any help would be great.
  2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Jul 15, 2001
    well, your going to have a hard time finding a used one... Only because most of us that own them wouldn't think about trading them in. HOWEVER the 2003's are open for ordering as of last week, so you may be able to get a '02 left over.

on finding one that's lifted- good luck. It's hard to get dealerships to reprogram the Allison, and the speedo, most won't touch it, so a lot of us have not lifted them yet. Along with the fact that if it's lifted, it's only recently been lifted, as the kits haven't been out that long, so chances are nobody is ready to get rid of them yet.

the best bet is to get a '02 leftover, and even then your going to pay $40K...so be prepared. One other thing, if one does buy one, be prepared for repeated trips to the dealer for computer updates... They have released a LOT of fixes, for the computer, but you have to have a complaint to receive them. And most dealers are not updating lot trucks, until they are sold/complained about.

once you get one, here's the site to check the Vin.. this site is for other Chevy's too, not just D/A combos.

<a target="_blank" href=http://vci.ecomm.gm.com/vci/>http://vci.ecomm.gm.com/vci/</a>

It's pretty good- since it gives you what it fixes, so if your like me and need to come up with a complaint to get an update, you can get one.

All in all we are VERY happy with our D/A its a 2500 HD Crew Cab Short bed. It's been in the dealers more than I would like, but most of the time, its due to wrong parts being ordered, and they don't bother to tell us until pick up time.
    Seat Belts replaced on rear seat,
    Fuel filter problem- caused Alli to go into Limp Mode
    Steering Box rattle- so far fixed, after 9 times, and 2 dealers
    Hydroboost blew a leak- new one installed
    trim around front windshield cupped- replaced
    Grill Emblem peeling, new installed

that's it, but it's taken 6 trips just to get the correct seat belts installed!

Hydro boost took 4 visits, and 2 dealers.

and it's been in a few times for computer updates.

any other questions, feel free to ask and also check out
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.thedieselpage.com>www.thedieselpage.com</a> GREAT info over there for Duramax's!!!

oh I almost forgot- we took deliver on 10-30-01, and we now have 28,587 on the odometer!! just over 4,000 miles a month! so yes we like it!