Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duramax??? Power stroke??? or Chevy 6.0???

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by dawson444, Jul 31, 2004.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I am looking into buying a tow vehicle. Trying to get an idea of what I want. Looking at a duramax, powerstroke or a 6.0 gas.

The duramax I haven't driven yet, but they are very rare and expensive as I am sure ya'll know.

I like the power stroke, but I'm not crazy about the whole ford thing. I also think the chevy is nicer.

The 6.0 I like it b/c of the price and it is very nice, but I am worried about the power, reliability, resale, and gas milage.

Just trying to get some other opinions. Thanks!

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

My opinion? CTD /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

4. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

If you are serious about towing you can knock the gas idea out of your head right now. If you want to haul, and haul well, go diesel. Im more of a Ford guy, but I didnt know the Duramax was all that rare... If you are a chevy guy then I say go with the Duramax..of course as my name implies, you can see my favorite combo /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I think it really depends on towing size/load and frequency. Do a search in this forum and th Garage for 6.0 info. There has been some threads about that engine recently.

My Dad has a 6.0 in a 2003 Chevy 2500HD and loves it. Tows a 29' Fifth Wheel camper and gets 9-11 MPG depending on speed and terrain. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

DMax - expensive, yes. Rare, not where I live.

PSD - I just don't like the Furd Stupid Duty.

GM 6.0 - I personally wouldn't even consider it for a tow vehicle.

As far as mileage goes, my dad had an '01 DMax with exhaust and an Edge Juice box. Said he got the same fuel mileage when empty & unloaded as when he had an enclosed 6-place snowmobile trailer (with 6 sleds and all their junk) on the ball.

7. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

CTD, I assume you mean cummins. I am just not a Dodge fan. Aside from that, towing is something I am going to be doing, but not anything all that often. Used Duramax's are really rare around here, and it seems as soon as they show up, they are gone. When I ask for a used duramax at the dealer, I feel like I am going to junk yards looking for a Dana 60. I also only see one other one in the local auto trader. Any other input?

8. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Duramax. Comes stock with enough power to pull any reasonable load. If you want more power, it's easily tunable with the right box. Dollars for dollars, the Duramax is the cheapest new diesel to upgrade.

The trucks are expensive, but they are the nicest, best handling, most responsive trucks available IMO.

9. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

d-max or 8.1L besides the 8.1L is rated to tow more then the 01-03 d-max

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    d-max or 8.1L besides the 8.1L is rated to tow more then the 01-03 d-max

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats only because it has less overall weight since it burns a quart of oil every 1000 miles /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

3 words! Cummins....turbo....diesel! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I used to think that the dodge trucks themselves weren't as nice as the chevys and fords but I have been looking at them lately. The loaded dodges are just as nice as the fords and chevys, infact I think the leather seats and dash is nicer plus you can get the interior in black with the dodges. The dodge CTD trucks have the best suspension and drivetrain system( D60/D80 with 4 link coils up front) I am a diehard chevy fan but after looking into the big 3 tow rigs I have to say that the dodge makes the best truck IMHO. I am looking for an '01-02 2500 CTD HO, 6 spd, sport package, and black leather interior.

The new 6.0 ford powerstroke in the superduties is nice also, I just installed a predator programmer in my buddies Harley edition 2004 and that thing is fast! Had it up to 90mph in roughly a 1/4 mile or so. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Cummins or a Duramax, dont bother looking anywhere else. If your looking for new, talk to the dealer and order one in exactly as you want it, you can get them surprisingly cheap if you cut out the usless crap(leather onstar etc).Thats what i did and my truck should be in in another month. i got it for right about 40,000 CND. has a duramax, 6 speed 4x4, posi,fifth wheel and trailer pqckage, air, cruise, CD, vynil bench, steel wheels, snow plow package, solar ray tint and i think thats it. Its a good heavy duty work truck, and it didnt break the bank.

13. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Wait for the 05s to come out, the D-Max is rated at 310HP and 615ft/pds.

The 6.0 mileage is negligable over the 8.1 in the gasser catagory, probably low teens. The D-Max is capable of low 20 MPG.

14. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

DMAX all the way IMO.. I've had all the motors in the newer trucks, and by FAR the dmax/alli combo is the best.

2001 8.1L/Alli - 13-14 Hwy mpg unloaded - 7 towing

2002 6.0L/4L85 - 13-14 Hwy - 6 towing

2003 Dmax/Alli - 19-20 Hwy - 14/15 towing

My .02,
    John

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I chose the 6.0L/4L80e/4.10 axle combo when I bought my '03 2500HD. It now has about 22,000 miles on it with several thousand of those miles pulling an 8,500 trailer.

Empty mileage is around 15, towing is around 9. My driving style is fairly aggressive with the truck empty or loaded.

While pulling the trailer it has no problems maintaining 70 mph and can pull most hills in O/D at this speed. There are not any mountains in Ohio but the southern and eastern parts of the state are quite hilly. On one late night dash home I was running 75 mph on I-70 with a light headwind and it would kick down into drive on the bigger hills, but when it did kickdown you had to back out of the throttle a little to keep from speeding up even more.

Overall I'm quite happy with it's performance. However, I will not deny that the D-max/Allison combo would be the ultimate for towing. If money wasn't an issue my truck would be a diesel but the extra $5-6k (add $100/month to the payment) those options cost just wasn't worth it for towing maybe a couple hundred miles a month to go fourwheeling.

16. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

D I E S E L

17. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

FWIW, the `04 and up dodge 4x4 CTD's come with 14 bolts front and rear /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm with rjf on this - Cummins all the way. Look at a couple, test drive them, compare all the aspects of the trucks and make your decision. Dodge interiors are awesome. You can get a nice used Cummins '01 for less than $25K up here.

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    While pulling the trailer it has no problems maintaining 70 mph and can pull most hills in O/D at this speed. There are not any mountains in Ohio but the southern and eastern parts of the state are quite hilly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess it depends on where you live. I've lived in western PA and what you consider hills are speedbumps compared to what we have out west. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif No offense, but nothing but a diesel will pull real hills at elevation. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

IMO, Cummins is the best choice if towing is a major part of your decision. Who says the CTD has to be in a Dodge?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Regardless, I'd have no issues with buying a Dodge. They have exactly what I want in a truck - a real, proven, inline diesel; strong solid axles and a big cushy interior. I was always a Chevy guy, but they haven't been offering what I want in a heavy duty pickup for at least 10 years. Furds have never been a choice for me, and I have never been impressed by their diesels.

My /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif is my second Cummins truck. I had a '93 Dodge Cummins truck before that. The CTD just impresses the heck out of me every time I tow heavy. It just never seems like it's working hard.