Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duramax questions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jimmy88, Mar 19, 2005.

1. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

I test drove a 2001 2500 crew 4x4 D/A intercooler with 120k miles. I know nothing about them other than what I've little I've read here, tow rig, and a duramax site.

Cool truck. I’m hooked on getting a diesel now. Just want to know what to look for. I’ll try to drive a few trucks to compare the “feel”. This one had kind of a mushy power band, no turbo noise (that I could hear) and no surge from when the turbo spooled up. Never felt like it pulled real strong, but I don’t know what to expect from the diesel. Ok now for the dumb questions about the Duramax:

Are they all turbos?

Is an intercooler stock?

Is there any turbo noise?

Is there any noticeable surge when the turbo kicks in?

Is there any noticeable power band or is it that they produce such steady high torque there is no “sweet spot” where it pulls best?

Are there any problems other than the cracked injectors and cracked fuel filters?

Any years to stay away from?

Thanks for any input.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Turbo diesels are the bomb. Make sure of what you're getting. If you didn't feel the power, I'd drive another just to make sure of what you expect. In fact, I'd drive a few to see if they match this one.

I do know that when my Cummins starts building boost it is clearly noticeable in the seat of the pants meter.

I'll try a couple of your answers - all are turbocharged, most won't make turbo noise through the stock airbox (but that can be fixed with alternate intake filters, etc), all are intercooled, most diesels are fairly linear in powerband, which basically means 'always on' :cool1: , but they do have, as all motors do, a peak hp/torque band. Try those other sites listed above for the scoop.

I originally looked at both Duramax and Cummins when I bought my Dodge. Two reasons I went with Dodge - the Cummins reputation and a straight axle.