Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duramax warranty and durability

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Leadfoot, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a question of what mileage is expected out of a Duramax and what the factory warranty is as well as what voids it.

The reason I ask is I know the Duramax as well as the Cummins and Powerstroke are strong motors (also know the PS has some fuel issues), but the Duramax is the only one with aluminum heads. There have not been any issues with them that I know of but under extreme boost (due to aftermarket mods), what is the life expectancy?

We had a guy at the pulls the other night in a Duramax. The thing sounded insane as he backed down the track. I couldn't tell if it sounded like a diesel or gas motor (actually it didn't sound like either). He smoked a pumped Cummin's and PS equipped trucks. The only guy that beat him was a twin turboed Cummins (which is a completely insane truck). Most guys (especially gassers) run 1 gear without shifting and some diesels hit two gears, this guy was in third gear by the end and still pulling (the sled operator hit the brakes). The strongest (extremely built 454) gasser just about hit a full pull, the guy in the Duramax would have made it well past if it wasn't for the fact there was a wall off the end of the track.

I assume he had a modded computer, exhaust, possibly turbo upgrade, and propane.
    It is frickin' insane power, but wondering what that does to a Diesel motor. I know you can pump insane horsepower out of a gasser but it generally comes at the expense of longevity, just wondering if it's the same for a diesel and if it is, is it alot or negligable.

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

No need to worry about the aluminum head issue. Isuzu has been building diesel engines for a looooong time, and they have been using aluminum heads on their motors before diesels were even offered in light duty pickup trucks.

As to what voids your warantee, i have no idea. Ive never owned a truck that had a warantee.

Longetivity, it depends. If you go all out and drive arround daily at 60lbs of boost, then yes, there will be negative effects. But whats nice about diesels, especially computer controlled ones, is that you can turn it all back down to reasonable levels to daily drive and have no ill effects. Take the edge controller for the D-max. It has i think 6 settings, ranging from stock to crazy. If you drive arround on 6 with your foot to the floor every day, bad things can happen. But turn it down to 1-2 or even 3, and your back closer to stock, where EGT's and boost are low. If you pull up next to a ricer, turn it back to 6 and smoke him, in more ways than one /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I read somewhere that a diesel engine has "X" amount of power for its life. So, the more power you play with, then the shorter the life of the engine is.

I am trying to think really hard if I have ever heard of a moded diesel that has gone for the million mile mark. Not to say that is hasn't been done, but I think like all things, mods places more stress on a given part, or group of parts.

To each their own, but I paid to much for my truck and plan on having it for way to long, to put any undue stress on it.

Everyone has their own choice and opinion though and I respect that.

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

A hotshot driverI know had a bunch of Banks goodies on his '99 Cummins, about 700 ft. lbs. worth. He put over 400,000 miles on the truck before he replaced it, obviously most of that was under extremely heavy loads too.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Remember that Diesels are built much tougher from the factory than any gas engine.

Sure you might shorten the life of the engine, but the engine will outlast rest of the truck anyway.

6. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sure you might shorten the life of the engine, but the engine will outlast rest of the truck anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I am counting on. The more I drive it, the more I love my Dodge /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif, because the interior is so simple and not a lot to break or fall apart. Who knows, I will report back once I have 200k on the ticker.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

100k mile powertrain warranty. Atleast 200k to 300k for the D max. The more mods you add, the less the life.