Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duramax with Allison vs with 6 Speed

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by sled_dog, May 26, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I drool over a Duramax about once a week. I just noticed a little note in the engine option. It says that if you get the 6 speed you have 10 less HP and 85 less ft-lbs of torque. I'm guessing they can't get the clutch to hold up to the 605 ft-lbs. that the Allison trans comes with(though Dodge only has sticks with their 600). Anyone know a thing about this? I know it will be a long time before I can afford one, but I would hate to lose 85 ft-lbs of torque right off the bat(especially if you plan to leave it completely stock for warranty).

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd bet the stick version still puts down the same or more power to the ground than the Allison version does. That Allison must eat a bunch of power...

Rene

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Get the allison, ive driven both, the allison is faster and tows better. And for '06 you get a 6-spd allison and 620 ft-lbs of torque.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Like I said, I won't be able to afford one for a while yet, hopefully not long after school I will be able to get one.... but that all depends on my banks willingness to give me a loan(I have excellent credit, just no history, working on it though).

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't follow...do you mean you can only get 600 ftlbs with the G56 manual? Dodge doesn't vary the power anymore between auto and manual versions. Regardless of tranny you get 325HP and 610lbs with the Ram Cummins.

Don't even bother with the 6 spd. It has a junk clutch assembly, doesn't tow as well as the Alli, and is a lot slower in acceleration. With the Alli you don't have to get off the fuel, leaving the turbo spooled up and making boost. That is why the DHRA guys ALL run autos. IMHO, with the Ford and GM the new 5 spd autos are the only way to go. Only the Ram Cummins is worth CONSIDERING the manual because of two reasons...

1. Dodge is STILL using a 4 spd auto. Out of all three diesels, the Cummins could use the 5spd more than the other two. Plus, the 48RE just doesn't get along with black boxes as well as the other autos, it's fine behind a stock Cummins but modded and the auto needs internal mods itself.

2. Out of all three diesels, the Cummins lays down the low end. The manual really helps bring out that low end grunt that only the inline 6 Ram Cummins can deliver.

Incorrect. THe Alli truck will blow away the manual rig. With today's autos with fancy converters, I don't think they eat power like a big 'ol th400 does.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Hey sleddog, the '06 duramax's are coming with a 6-spd allison too, with double OD, so there goes your theory about the 6-spd manual, now i really dont see a point in getting a manual.

7. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Shameless plug! :laugh:

I think we can all count of rjf to insert an add for the Cummins and it's state-of-the industry 1948 architecture. ;)

Answering the original post, I can't think of a good reason to go with the ZF-6 over the Allison. Without going into too much boring detail, the Allison performs just as well, if not better, as the ZF manual.

The only place where the Allison falls short of the ZF is that you're not bothered with all the busy shifting that a 6-speed manual brings. What a downer! :laugh:

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

:laugh: Bah.... None of the new diesels have any technological advantage over the next one. All three are hi pressure rail injected now. The inline 6 design has been around longer and is much, much more common....because it's a better design than the few V8 diesel still being produced. :D