Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Duramax with the Allison?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by nau81blazer, Dec 10, 2006.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

Big changes coming here. I'm planning on getting rid of my K5 and buying a Duramax. Not that i'm gonna be hauling anything right now, i'm really just interested in the longevity of a diesel. After six years of working on my K5 and rarely seeing the benefits, i'm ready to not work on a truck for awhile:rolleyes:

My question is, if i'm looking for something that's gonna last, should I shell out the extra cash and get a newer duramax with the allison auto tranny? Or are the "old" trannies (01'-04') still pretty good?

Now I am looking to spend as little as I have to being that I just graduated from college. Taking all of that into account, what do you guys think? Thanks for the input!

--Adam

2. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I think you need to buy a Dodge with a Cummins and a NV5600.

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

All duramax trucks with an auto have an allison. They are great tranny's. Just get the newest one you can afford. Just about every year the power in the diesels get bumped up a bit, so the newer the more power you will have.

4. nau81blazer

Thanks for the answers thus far. As far as the six speed automatics go, is that just this 07' year? I've seen alot of 5 speed autos. So you're saying that all the duramax/auto combo's come with allison transmissions right? Anybody else have an opinion on which year is gonna be good? And I think i'd like to stick with a Chevy. As far as horsepower and torque go, i'm sure what any of these engines have to offer is gonna be enough for me. Thanks guys!

--Adam

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Check out towrig.com. It is a spinoff of here. lots of diesel guys over there. As far as the 6 speed, that is new for '07. The previous ones were 5 speeds, and I have yet to hear anything bad with them. A buddy of mine that works in a GM truck shop said they are great too. He has only had to overhaul a few, not like the dodge auto's that I have overhauled more then I care to count.

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the 6 speed is the 5 speed with another deeper overdrive. I sell them new. the newer the truck the more power and improvements. 01-02 are the least powerful. 03-04 are bumped. 05-06 are getting serious numbers. 07 has the 650 lb-ft and 6 gears.

I would steer away from the 01-02 cause they have some small problems, nothing serious, and the least amount of power. Plus at this year a 01 is 6 years old with an average of 90,000 miles.

7. nau81blazer

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm looking at a 2004 right now. Like I was saying I don't really need a ton of power, just something that is gonna run for a good many years. I would love to get an 07', but the $$$$$ is scary!!!!

Thanks,

--Adam

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't worry about the Allison, the 5spd is the same trans with it setup differently to shift into 6th.

Factory power ratings don't matter, and I think that would be the last of my worries, as they are so easy to add 120ishHP like nothing anyway.

I would go with an 01-02. The best front clip Chevy has ever made and the LB7 engine, it responds to programming much better than later LLY motors and still uses a non variable vane charger.

9. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

06 was the first year for the 6 speed. I love mine, put an exhaust, intake and a programmer on it and its all I need.
    The 6 speeds also got better C3 and C4 clutches as well, than the previous ally's.
    If you want all the answers to your questions on a DMax, go to www.dieselplace.com

Clay

10. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

01'-early 04' LB7's are the best with 02' being the very best. I'd stay away from 04.5'-05' LLY trucks. The 06' and 07' LBZ's are good running trucks stock. I personally have an 01' with 135K and close to 500rwhp :D . Puts a smile on your face every time you push on the right peddle :D. Nothing like pulling a 33' 18K gooseneck @ 80mph in 6th gear :D .

11. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

X's 2 :waytogo:

12. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

we got an 06... most stock power without the particulate filter and all the benefits of the best allision equipped on them thus far

13. nau81blazer

Bad news fellas.......wife wanted a Nissan Pathfinder, I wanted a Duramax....guess who won.....Oh well, next one is my choice so I'll definately go diesel. Thanks for the all the input that you've given and feel free to throw some insults at me....

--Adam

14. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear it man...but at least keeping the wife happy she'll in turn keep you happy:D:D.

Hope you get what you want next time around

15. blowedupmotor87

blowedupmotor87 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1967k10,
    Why would you stay away from the 2004.5-2005 LLY? Any particular problems? I am looking at one of them right now. I'd appreciate any info, Thanks! :D

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Probably due to the fact that an LLY has a variable van turbo and LB7's are slightly easier to mod because of that.

Most likely though, because he owns an LB7 and is bias.;)

An LLY is just fine, they use a variable vane turbo and have a harder time making higher boost numbers combined with more aggressive EGT's, but they still kick butt. You can still get big HP out of an LLY.

17. blowedupmotor87

blowedupmotor87 1/2 ton status Premium Member

rjfguitar,
    Would it be possible (or even worthwhile) to switch out the variable vane turbo that comes on the LLY for a fixed vane turbo like the LB7 has?
    Or does the LLY have a totally different computer? Are the LLY's less reliable or is the only disadvantage just the lower power pontential? What kind of numbers could one see on an LLY? My main concern is durability but, some reasonably big power would be good too, thanks!:D

18. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

whenever the funds come in and I have time for a cross country trip, I am gonna have twins installed.

Clay

19. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No real need to unless you want over 500 RWHP (most stock K5 motors don't even push 350 FWHP, nevermind RWHP). You can put a straight vaned turbo on an LLY or even LBZ for that matter, but for daily use a Variable vane turbo is much better. It spools quicker and can be modded for compression braking (Fleece Turbobrake controller).

If you do want to bump the power, get an EGT gauge and be carefull with the tranny. The Allison is a stout tranny but is electronically controlled and does have it's limits stock. In 06 they went to a 6 speed as well as upgraded the front pump section. In an 06 and up tranny you can install a trango junior kit (low bucks) and will help it last longer (pre 06 requires tranny removal).

As stated before, go to dieselplace.com and look for more info.

20. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

for sticks and giggles this is what an 1000 Series Allison looks like for thsoe that have never seen one insideout.............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]