Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DURAMAX=WOW

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2L Jimmy, Sep 25, 2002.

1. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hi All,

Just had to say that I was lucky enough today to actually have somebody come and ring my doorbell and say hey come and see this........and handed me the keys to a brand new (still unsold)black Duramax/Alison 2500HD Sierra
    shortbed pickup. So naturally, I take him up on his offer and hop in and he tells me dont be shy ...lay into this thing your gonna like it. So again I took him up on his offer and holy S$*t that thing kicks a$$. I want one...bad!
    Too evpensive though....70,000 Cdn. ouch. It comes with 3.73 gears and that 32 valve turbo monster work so well together. And as for the Alison, I've heard alot of talk about them but never had the experience (pleasure) of driving one of these, I now understand what they were talking about. Anyways.....if you havent tried one out you gotta. I guess it pays to have made friends with a guy who happens to live on your street and works for G.M. and is a truck mechanic for them to boot. The guy is cool he is also in the Reserve too and one day same thing ...the door bel rings and my wife got the door and there he was in full combat camo and with him was a 10-ton miscle transporter with built in crane. I was able to walk under this thing with just bending me head slightly to the side... one BIG 6x6 mother. I saw it drive through a snow bank about 5 feet high from a standstill and it just destroyed the snow bank like I have never seen before....God it was cool. Any ways gotta go just had to share this.
    Mike

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I got to drive a fellow diesel enthusiast's Duramax truck at the www.thedieselpage.com gathering in Dayton, Ohio, last year. It was a stock truck, except for the propane injection. I was laying rubber on the streets without meaning too. I was so used to having to press hard on the right pedal, that I just kept jabbing the accelerator down without needing to. You're right, they're an awesome truck. And yep, they're awfully expensive as well! I think I'll stick with my old 6.2L for right now!

Casey

3. DeGreaser

DeGreaser Registered Member

Not to make you drool but I've had one since Oct 2001. Got it when GM introduced their 0% financing as I needed a new truck for my commute from Reno to San Jose. My '87 K10 is getting long in tooth. Long bed extended cab K2500HD. It has about 25K miles on it already. Great truck! 20 miles per gallon. With the aux tank in the bed I can make it from San Jose almost to New York without stopping for diesel /forums/images/icons/smile.gif No problems whatsoever. There's a fair amount of turbo lag but once the turbo winds up it's a rocket although the rev-limiter kicks in at 95MPH /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. There are replacement computers available now that will give you an additional 90HP and 250ft-lbs of torque (and also eliminate the rev-limiter /forums/images/icons/smile.gif for about 10 minutes of work under the hood. That's somewhere around 400HP and 750ft-lbs total. It's putting Cummings and PowerStroke to shame /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I highly recommend it. The only down side is that the sheet metal is like tinfoil - EPA milage regulations and all that BS - but that can be said for any late model vehicle.

Now - put one of those in a K5! Should be possible in a few years /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. DeGreaser

That reminds me - I got on it one time making a left turn to clear an oncoming vehicle. I ended up in a wild fishtail that lasted about 3 cycles. Scared the s*** out of me!

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

got ours 10-31-01.......now has over 42000 miles..

LOVE IT......wont get rid of it cept to get another.... and the '03's are growing on me....once we hit 55,000miles, it heads down the road...should be soon!

Brandy

6. DeGreaser

I agree - I won't part with it unless it's to trade in on another. There are some trim options I'd like but the interior is nice and cushy anyway. I hear the '03's add a bit of trim frills but not much else.